Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Repair evaporator fan in my freezer of refrigerator

refrigerator repair

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 glenno

glenno

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Oatmeal Stout

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

Electricity was off. When refrigerator came back on, freezer works, but refrigerator is not as cold as it should be. I contacted the Samurai and he said to register here and suggested that it could either be a stuck condensor fan or a stuck evaporator fan. I checked and it looks like the condensor fan is working, but think the evaporator fan is not. I can turn it with my finger, but doesn't run by itself. What can I do to get it working?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

You can start by posting the model number.

#3 glenno

glenno

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

This is a RCA (made by GE) Model #MTX14CYSFRWH This is an old refrigerator, but would like to repair it if possible. This size is almost impossible to find because of depth, height and width. Thanks

#4 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

Use your trusty volt meter to check for power at the evaporator fan motor.
I suspect you will read 120 volts.
That means a new fan motor is ion your future.
http://www.repaircli...er=MTX14CYSFRWH

#5 glenno

glenno

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

Yes -- checked the voltage -- getting 120. Took the motor out -- wondering how easily the fan should spin by hand? This one doesn't turn too easily, like the condenser fan does. Should it spin easily? Also, spade connectors look greenish. Is there an easy way to change out those (not the ones attached to the motor, but the ones still attached inside the freezer)?

#6 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

It should turn very freely.
If you did loosen it up by turning it will only lock up again or start sounding like a nest full of baby birds chirping.

#7 glenno

glenno

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Wasn't frozen. I could still turn it, but doesn't spin freely like the condenser fan does. Think we've probably found the cause -- I won't be able to get the new motor until Monday morning. So won't know for sure until then. Any thoughts about changing out the old connectors that are in the freezer? They are in a soft clear plasic sleeve casing (not a hard plastic plug in type connector) and are not easy to get to. I would at least like to clean them up, but can't seem to figure out how to get to them without cutting into the plasic sleeve around them. Maybe I should just leave them as is and hope that the corrosion won't get worse?

#8 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

Cut them off and replace them with insulated connectors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics