Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung RF4287HARS refrigerator -- dispenser disassembly?

dont wanna break stuff

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

In this model, the ice paddle is directly in front of the water paddle. A small plastic tab broke and fell out into the drip tray, and now the ice paddle doesn't make its switch -- instead, it travels all the way to the water paddle. The water paddle closes its switch and the unhappy customer gets water instead of ice.

I understand the problem, but looking over the machine, I don't understand how to take this beast apart without breaking more plastic. Anyone have a manual or proper disassembly instructions?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

Bump. I know the part I need, but I'm about to commit seppuku on its proper disassembly and reassembly.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

PMed you the powerpoint training presentation on this unit. Hope it helps. Let us know.

#4 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

If this is the one where the manual tells you to remove the screw under the display and all you have to do is pull up and out, well all I can say is good luck. They make it look easy, but I have had to stand on a ladder just to get enough leverage to pop those suckers off. I typically just order that whole assembly if I can because of the chance of more breakage. Then again most of the ones I have done are in warranty. Hey Samurai, can you send me that powerpoint as well?

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

Oops! Sorry for the delay. PMed you the ppt file for this.

#6 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

Follow up on this: got it done; took about an hour. If anyone reads this in the future, the manual LIES. You do NOT pull the dispenser/user interface assembly to the right and up. You pull that assembly UP slowly and steadily, with a MILD twist to the right as you're pulling up. Keep pulling and it will pop out, and send you stumbling across the kitchen with the sudden release. There are 6 or 8 tabs. I broke the snot out of one, but the unit went back in just fine.

After you get the UI out, the fun has just started. The dispenser has a small amount of glue on it, and it will probably not want to come out of the UI assembly. I got the old dispenser out by destroying it with my pliers and twisting the remains out with a screwdriver.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

Great info, Dan, domo! Some video or photos would be awesome if you got 'em.

#8 DanBucher

DanBucher

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:modus hoperande

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

I'm having the same issue with my Samsung RF4287HARS.  I as well cannot figure out how to get the ice paddle assembly apart.  Could I get a copy of the power point referenced above?  Thanks.

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

Here ya go, budrow ==> http://appliantology...ntation-bundle/

#10 MrOhm

MrOhm

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:silver knight

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

Like Dan said.. The UI takes much pulling pressure upwards and then to right and left kinda of a wiggle out once it starts until the tabs pop. The dispenser paddle assembly was more of challenge but I found that if I get a flat driver in between the plastic and the metal and work around the perimeter it finally gave way and slid off there must be a tab that locks it in place  because after it gave way I found a small piece of plastic. The new paddle assembly also popped on with considerable force. must be some sort of tab.. I examined it thoroughly and could not find out why it was so hard but it goes on and stays on.. Everything is a-ok now. Thanks for the forum. 

#11 lvasquez11

lvasquez11

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

Just complete one of these also .

Removed srew . i use flat screwdriver n slide it into slot right next to where screw came out . pulled stright out 

no more then 15 min. They get easier with practice 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics