Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Mark218

Kenmore Washer blowing breaker

13 posts in this topic

Today I found me Kenmore Elite Washer, model 11016942500 dead. It had just finished the spin cycle. Looked around and found that the surge protector had blown the breaker. The only thing plugged into the power strip is the washer and my wireless router so it's not overloaded. I reset the breaker and I can hear the motor hum but after about 3 seconds the breaker kicks again and of course the tub does not spin.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

May be some clothing caught between the Tub and the Basket

Try it on Agitate

That's what I thought so I took it apart. I have the cover off and the ring/cap around the tub removed and I see nothing between the inner and outer tubs. When I turn the tub manually counter-clockwise it spins freely. When I try to spin it clockwise it quickly becomes tight. I can turn it but it requires much more effort and will not spin like the other direction. I also looked below while my son turned it and could not see anything moving one way or another.

For what it's worth the motor seems clean and I believe it is about 7 years old.

This is a Whirlpool manufactured direct drive. The basket should not rotate easily in either direction. Considering the famous Whirlpool transmission never fails, more and more fingers are pointing at the motor. As long as you have the cabinet off, remove the motor. It's just a couple of clips and a wiring plug.

Mind that capacitor. In fact, give it a good look. Between agitate and spin, the motor is reversing, which means stop and start, which involves the capacitor. Is it swollen?

Try it on Agitate

does it Agitate OR Spin ?

When I found it frozen, I started a wash cycle all over again. After the tub filled it went directly to the motor humming sound and the kicked the breaker, so know it won't spin or agitate.

When I get home tonight I'll pull the motor and see what I can find.

Are you running the motor with the pump removed and tied back?

No I haven't removed the pump. I'm going to work on it shortly.

Jackpot! Removed the pump and found one of my 6 year old daughter's socks! Putting it back together now.

OK, back together and everything seems to be working fine. The question is, how did this happen and how do I avoid it happening again? I'm guessing the Mrs filled the tub too full and it somehow worked it's way over the top? Or could it have gotten sucked in elsewhere?

Thanks guys for the input, another appliance badge to add to my belt.

Mark

Are you running the motor with the pump removed and tied back?

Ah! So!

There are a few ways items get to the pump....1) Aggressive Spin......... I.E. no neutral drain, the washer will drain AND spin at the same time, water over the top of the spin basket..............................2) The sock could have been sitting on a bed sheet that has air trapped inside, ya get this big bubble during the fill cycle and most of the time, the air escapes during the agitate cycle.............................. In defense of the Mrs..........No, The Mrs. did not over fill............It filled to it's set level and started to agitate..............