Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Ice Maker Makes Ice...Too Much

Ice maker

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

Kenmore 106.51552102 ice maker will not turn off, even with the switch, continues to make ice all the time
I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Bullstok

Bullstok

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Mt. Dew

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

You know... With all this extra ice laying around, I see no reason to fix your air conditioner. I think your two problems cancell each other out. Glad to be of service. (sorry, could not help it :) )

Edited by Bullstok, 07 May 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#3 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

You funny Guy...I can live without the AC...South Texas Boy...Worked in the heat all my long life... Don't like the cold...Momma, she don't like the heat..has a daycare...does not like the sun...Cool makes her Happy...that makes me happy...She makes me happy!

$800 for work that I can do but don't have a license to...That hurts......I did diagnose the problem...Made it easy for the tech...Price war? (See AC not cooling blog) just want to know if the rate is reasonable.

Any way back to this blog's focus...the ice problem...customer's refer...She called me this evening...Ice is coming out her ears...she had to turn the water valve to the ice maker to stop the er had this problem icebergs...Never had this repair problem before...Preliminary diagnostic...switch fused close? ,,,Infra red stuck open?...parts houses show just parts to replace, not the complete unit (10 year ice maker), I would replace complete unit not rebuild it...Any way I am looking for anybodies else experience with this particular problem...Want to repair when I make the call, I provide honest, dependable, reasonably, price service...That's my Business core focus. Any tech that has wants to share their honest advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:40 PM

Link to complete Icemaker:

Ice-Maker-Assembly-2198597-00878090.jpg

http://www.repaircli...2198597/1016069

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Thanks kdog for the link,but that is not the correct ice maker. Although the ice maker is 10 years old, the original is working great making bo-kos of ice, ice all uniform & clear.

This ice maker is sitting in freezer sideways. Has 7 cubes instead of 8. Does not mount on side wall. Mounts on top wall of freezer. Can not access the front module with out taking it down. Bucket sits in door. Did I mention it's a ice making machine.

Here is the problem Has a light emitter that opens & closes the circuit. The off switch just obstructs the light beam, As so a flapper when freezer is opened or ice bucket fills with ice.
Has P.C. Board Receiver (2198586), on right side wall of freezer liner; P.C. Board Emitter (2198585).

question? How do I test the 2 P.C. boards to determine which one is defective or do I just replace both. Also I would like to know how to detect the light beam, (sure it is infra red) if it is working, seems I read somewhere you can use a camera to check the beam of a remote tuner.
IgonFishn

#6 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

Use this link to get the whirlpool/ka in door ice manual goes over diagnostics of the emiter/receiver board http://appliantology...ol-in-door-ice/

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

that is not the correct ice maker. This ice maker is sitting in freezer sideways. Has 7 cubes instead of 8.

There are only 2 of these style icemakers, a 5-cube and an 8 cube
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

And the emitter/receiver boards can only be purchased as a set - both boards in one kit part#.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

Two days ago installed a set of boards. Initiated a harvest cycle, Ice maker filled with water LED had single beam. Picked up my tools & left telling customer they should have ice next day. Get called today, ice maker has not harvested ice. Customer says LED is flashing with door open & flapper cover closed. Don't think there is any obstruction with light beam. Any suggestions before I return tommorrow?
IgonFishn

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

Did you do the T to H jumper test in the icemaker module to see if the icemaker manually harvests?

#11 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

Yes I did, Unit did not initiate Harvest cycle. That day freezer was 32 degrees, because when frigerator was out customer had cleaned coils, bent condensor fan blade in process, thus was not operating properly. I straightened fan blade to get unit operating correctly, told customer that modular probably went bad (I/M 10 years old) but to let unit stabilize for a day & I would come back & check again. Customer, rather than spend more time & money on unit (even though I said I would replace ice maker at no charge if indeed defective) is going to buy new larger refer & put this one in garage because they entertain a lot & don't have enough frigerator space. They are wealthy. I have known them for years. They also have a stand alone ice machine in their bar (it is nice, huge, & well stocked) It floors me what people do. What are your suggestions for handling this?
IgonFishn

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

Did you do the T to H jumper test in the icemaker module to see if the icemaker manually harvests?

Yes I did, Unit did not initiate Harvest cycle.

That's a bad control module. You're better off just replacing the whole icemaker. Grand Master kdog called the dance steps on this one early on.

#13 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

It amazes me what the Appliance God's do for entertainment on us mere motals.

My customer with the icemaker that makes & makes ice when the emmitter board was malfunctioning, not sending an light beam, it should not work, correct. Then after installing new emmitter the ice maker quits making ice. Now after a week of sitting there lifeless the I/M has started to act normal. I/M is working perfect. Fills the ice bucket then shuts down when full. Go figure.
IgonFishn

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:21 AM

The icemaker may have had to come down to temperature before it started. Who knows how much door openings and fiddling they did with it. Glad it's working!

#15 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:05 AM

. Who knows how much door openings and fiddling they did with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics