Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Troubleshoot modern appliances with confidence…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Whirlpool VMW washer - no agitate, no spin WTW5640XW0

12 posts in this topic

Hi guys, my turn again!

I'm working on a Whirlpool Vertical Modular Washer. Complaint: no agitate, no spin. I verified the complaint: washer will fill and drain but won't agitate or spin.

Basket turns freely, main drive pulley attached, nut tight, belt intact.

Putting the machine into diagnostic mode, I get error code F7 E1 - not basket movement detected. Not very illuminating.

Removed/reseated all motor and mode shifter wire harness connections down below. Removed/reseated mode shifter harness connector at main board.

Green LED was lit on main control board.

Mode shifter motor resistance checked good. But no 120vac measured (with harness connected) for mode shifter motor at J16:1-2

While I could enter diagnostic mode, I could not get the machine into the mode for manual spin or agitate according to this procedure:

2012-05-08_13-39-55.png

Never got the Spin and Done LEDs to light up.

So, my first trip troubleshooting was inconclusive and I've got to go back. What else can I do to nail down the problem?

Domo!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

.. While I could enter diagnostic mode,

Successful activation of Diagnostic Test Modes will be indicated by all status LEDs

(except for Lid Locked) flashing ON and OFF in half-second intervals.

correct ?

That's affirmative, Brother Reginald. And it was in that mode that I got the error code, F7 E1. What I could not do was to get into the manual test mode from there.

Book isn' t much help on this. I would go after the door switch/lock assembly. Will this design machine fill and drain with the lid open normally?

Howdy, NCA. No, the design of this beast is that the door lock has to be engaged before it will even fill or drain. When it goes to agitate, you hear this grinding sound-- motor runs but it grinds like a rip saw. Shoulda gotten a video of that. Dang it! Almost seems like a bad transmission. Going back on Thursday to do more shootin then.

Edit: My video got boogared up. New upload pending now.

Ok,admit i have not seen one yet. I yearn for the belt drive days with broken cam bar pins and wig-wags. The original post led me to believe nothing was turning on agitate/spin wise. Electrically all is well i guess,must be mechanical. I would pull the splutch and see if it is broken,if ok then the gearcase.

Seems I had one making that grinding noise ....the splines where the basket mounts on the gearcase shaft had shat the bed...

Been getting some strange problems on these things. I don't have high hopes for these things long term...

Edited by KurtiusInterupptus

I would pull the splutch and see if it is broken,if ok then the gearcase.

Yep, that was gonna be my next Ex-Lax move. Domo for the confirmation! :)

Here's the video of (most) of what I did today...

[media=]

Seems I had one making that grinding noise ....the splines where the basket mounts on the gearcase shaft had shat the bed...

Domo, Brother Kurtius! What'd the fix turn out to be on this one?

if it's makin a grindin noise u need a tranny plastic gears in that transfer shaft

Domo Brother mark mac. Yep, it sounded like someone was snoozing and cuttin' zzzz's (but breathing fast).

Had to replace the gearcase (shaft ) and the spline hub on the basket...

Went back out today and here's a video of what I saw. In light of the illuminating comments from Brothers Kurtius and mark mac, it seems to be a bad transmission or the shaft/spline problem. Sound right to you, mah bruvahs?