Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

pay or do not pay, that's the question..

certified tech group 51

Got a call from a customer that said his refrigerator leaked water and ruined his flooring....He said that he called because when his insurance company's adjuster looked at it and asked if the home owner did the work....the home owner said some one else did it ( Me )..... So his home insurance will not pay, so he wants my insurance to pay for the repairs..... .I asked where was it leaking from and he said " At the supply line connection at the shut off valve behind the refer".....I have the original work order in my hand and I only replaced a defrost heater and the water chiller .................. I said that I did not do the refer's water supply line...........He said that I had given him the part for free and I installed it for free......... ( I do Parts for whole sale OR free labor, But not both )........He said he does not want to cause any problems, being a small town and all and if I would pay at least half of the repair............The date on the work order was from 22 month ago......The question is "Pay to keep customer happy" and not bad mouthing you... ...OR......"Not pay" and see what hits the fan.... The refer is not in an alcove , one side is visible from the living room....... But 22 months ??? ....................Doesn't any one pull out their refers to clean behind at least once a year ???................If you touched it last, it must be your fault............

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• certified tech group 51

• jumptrout

• RegUS_PatOff

• tommytech

Turn it over to your insurance agent.

They will argue with the other insurance company on your behalf.

Have you ever done any other service calls for him ?

I wouldn't pay .

He's could be trying to scam everyone that worked on his Fridge and trying to "milk" (no pun intended) everyone and all.

This may be his "MO" (modus operandi) and does this a lot with all appliances and vehicles, etc.

In certain states, you can view court records of suing and other stuff, although he probably never goes to court,

and / or never goes through his insurance company.

All cash transactions from multiple "victims" of the same "damage"

Get the name and phone number of his insurance company and explain it to them.

• Team Samurai

I think Brother jumptrout has the best idea. That's why we have insurance! And if your insurance calls BS on him, you can just say, "Solly Chollie, my insurance won't pay. My hands are tied and my wallet is sealed."

IXNE on the EqueChe ! after 2 years the guys plumbing breaks! probably just an unsecured valve hanging on the end of a piece of tubing anyway - none of us like to get faced with these little "shouldda kept an eye on things" scenario's, but folks are always trying to pull this kinda stuff. The homeowner is responsible to provide functional utilities not us !!

I would not pay a dime. I would tell him i am not responsible for normal inspection and maintenance of my customers home. That is their responsibility as a homeowner.

My experience with insurance companies regarding water damage is it has to be a "sudden and unexpected event" for them to cover it. Any slow leaks causing damage falls on the homeowner to be watching after their property. Let your good work speak for itself in your town. I am sure you are not the only person in your small town he has tried to scam.

DeathStalker

Either you DID mess with the line or you didn't. Only you know. If you DID then maybe you are culpable. If you DIDN'T then you aren't and the customer can go screw himself.

How much damage are we talking about? How could it be SO extensive that he never noticed a problem until it was so large that he got his home owners involved? This whole situation stinks to me and I have a damn good nose.

But as jumptrout said and the the Guru here echoed, let your insurance company handle it. An insurance companies jpob is to screw someone, anyone out of cash so they don't have to pay. His is tryng that option. You pay YOUR insurance company to protect YOUR interests. They protect yours by protecting theirs.............

Yup, I stopped by my insurance agent and informed them of the situation....The agent will call the insurance company and ask a couple of " What if " questions.........If I remember, ( alota calls and 22 months under the belt) I replaced the chiller using 'Q.D.' couplers from the inside..........Do not recall if I did replace the water supply line... He said I did the part and labor for free, that is why it is not on the Work Order.. :deal: ...................Do I gotta take pictures of every repair now??...I have taken pictures of some ' before and after' shots........Gotta love 1000 picture capability on the card.......

If you don't rememeber "say you don't remember".

DO NOT SAY.............I might have........... I don't think so.......maybe...etc.