Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Fischer&Paykel DD603 not fully draining

dishdrawer dishwasher drain clog non-return valve fischer & paykel

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ablock

ablock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Greetings, gurus & apprentices.

We have a F&P DD603SS that is leaving behind about an inch of water in the tub after each cycle. This happens on both the top and bottom drawers. I looked through the past forum posts about the DDs (why doesn't anyone describe their issue in the topic title?!?), and found that the problem is likely caused by a clogged drain line.

I removed the drain line from the upper drawer. The non-return valve fell out (more on this in a moment) and about two cups of water soaked my shirt. I wasn't sure how to test if the drain line was clogged. First I blew through it, which didn't work -- no air flow. Then I filled it with water from the faucet. It spilled over the top and then very slowly drained down through the hose. I'm assuming this confirms my diagnosis of a clogged hose.

I looked on Sears PartsDirect and found that the manual's specified part numbers (525966 for upper hose and 525967 for lower) have both been superseded by 527137. That's fine but each hose costs $40; is there an acceptable way to clean out a clogged hose rather than replacing it?

Now, about that non-return valve. When it fell out I didn't see where it came from, or which direction it was installed in the hose fitting. The manual has no parts diagram (?) and the Sears PD diagrams show what I think is the NRV but the part number has no corresponding product page and anyway the drawing is too small to see how the NRV is installed. Any guidance here would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

/adam

PS I do realize I misspelled "Fisher" in the post topic but I am not able to change it. Sorry, F&P marketing department!

Edited by ablock, 10 May 2012 - 05:17 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

Service Manual can't hurt: http://appliantology...service-manual/

The non return valve will allow flow out of the pump, but not in so the rubber flap must hinge outward
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

On your F&P -- check your drain hose. If you have a Y-shaped drain hose -- one end going to the garbage disposal and two ends coming out of that to each drawer -- you MUST have that aligned straight up and down -- the top hose at 12 o'clock and the bottom hose at 6. If you don't, water from one drawer will flow back into the other.

#4 ablock

ablock

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

@DanInKansas: Thanks, I'll check on that. But doesn't the fact that I can't blow through the hose suggest that it's pretty well blocked (whether or not the Y alignment is good)?

@kdog: I do have the SM, thanks. As I mentioned, it has no exploded parts diagram and doesn't mention the NRV at all...

/adam

#5 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Very possibly some blockage, but checked for a pinched hose. if you have the upper drawer's hose disconnected, and if you're lying on the floor, you could pinch that water line without knowing it.

Flap should swing towards the back of the cabinet. I did the same thing with a DD603 trying to find a leak and it goes back on right under the drawer.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:25 PM

525414P Now Use 528625P

from another blog:
I'll add the outcome here just in case someone comes across this page with a search one day.

Replacing the flapper valve (FP part 525414P $5.49 at Sears Parts) did fix the problem. Water now drains from both drawers without flowing into the other drawer.

In comparing the "worn" and new valves, the only difference I could see was that the worn one was more flexible. Presumably that's a result of 4 years of passing hot water; it's interesting that both valves failed within a few months of each other.

I paid $200 on a service call to have the first replaced; in hindsight, he probably should have replaced both valves.

The procedure to replace the valve is simple.

525414P Now Use 528625P
Replacement flapper valve kit for DD/DS601/602/603 Dish Drawers.
Includes two flaps.
528625Pflap.jpg

TECH TIP: This part is often replaced to resolve "cross draining" problems.
The issue is not with the flappers, the issue is that your machine probably has a "single" air gap designed for a SINGLE dishwasher.
Order our DUAL AIR GAP KIT to resolve cross-drain problems and poor wash problems FOREVER!
dualairgap2.jpg

Required for proper draining on Fisher-Paykel Double-Dish Drawers.
Provides totally separate draining for each drawer.
Eliminates "cross draining" problems PERMANENTLY!
Replaces single air gap perfectly and allows your double-dish drawer to function like it should.
Fits in the same hole as the single air gap, and accepts most custom decorative caps as well, so it will provide a seamless and permanent solution that matches the existing kitchen decor perfectly.
Most Double Drawers are improperly installed with a single air gap.
This is the solution to repeated visits for service and poor wash results.
Order today! You'll feel like you have a new machine after you install this device in your kitchen. It's that good.
Includes air gap, chrome cap, 4 clamps and two coupler sleeves for connecting the Fisher Paykel corrugated drain hoses to the air gap.
NOTE: You can usually snap your existing cap onto the dual air gap if yours is a special color such as bisque, pewter, white, etc.
Please see our detailed TECH TIP regarding this item: fisherpaykelparts.net/techhelp/showthread.php

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 J5

J5

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:00 AM

each drawer has a seperate drain hose

if both are not draining then check your drainage connections at the sink

#8 philcheck

philcheck

Samanera

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:whirlpool

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

no double drawer models for this puppy...!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dishdrawer, dishwasher, drain, clog, non-return valve, fischer & paykel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics