Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

mallochtaylor

Kenmore 417.44042400 doesn't spin or drain

17 posts in this topic

Need a manual!! I swapped out the timer on this machine about 3 years ago (courtesy of this website - thanks again!) and have had no trouble until today. Hundreds of washes later.

Suddenly it doesn't drain on any of the cycles. Decided to see if drain pump is blocked maybe? Not sure if I can access it without unstacking.

taylor

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

The drain pump is mounted to the bottom plate of the washer, in the right front corner, behind the access panel.

Found it! Anyone have instructions on unclogging it?

Interesting developments. I took out the pump and found this (see picture) inside! Judging by its corroded state, it had been there a while but only just got far enough into the pump to foul it. So I put it all back together and PRESTO! It worked! But that was yesterday. Today: a different story. The machine cycles until it needs to pump, then nothing. And I have an admission to make. When I took it apart yesterday, the pump fell into the pool of water that came out when I detached it from the drain line. Could this be the new problem? Did I ruin my pump by getting it wet?

More detail: if I try to push it over to another cycle and pull out the start knob, I get a very brief flash of the door light. Then nothing. I wonder if I have buggered the timer?

check to see if you have 120v AC to the Pump when it should be running ...

I posted this a while back but got busy, so here it is again.

Kenmore 417.44042400 made a 'crunch' noise and stopped draining. I disassembled the pump and found a hex key had jammed the impellers. Must have been in the drain line a while - it was very corroded.

Put the pump back in and started the machine - drained perfectly. Then I ran a complete new wash. This time, it got as far as the drain cycle and stopped. When I turn the dial to another cycle and pull out the knob, one of the face panel lights flickers on extremely briefly (usually the door lock light), but nothing happens.

Last time this happened I replaced the timer assembly and everything was fine. I wonder if I have somehow fried the timer again - maybe another replacement in order?

check to see if you have 120v AC to the Pump when it should be running ...

No power to pump. Timer doesn't advance. No lights when different cycles are selected.

... it doesn't drain on any of the cycles.

does it Fill and Agitate ?

It filled and agitated once, but wouldn't drain. Now doesn't do anything at all - except occasional brief flash of light when I change to a new cycle and pull out the timer knob. I'm wondering if it's worth taking a chance on a new timer.

Failing that, maybe time to throw in the towel and spring for a new washer entirely.

(4) indicator lights ...

Door Light ? (magnet on Dispenser Drawer)

Wash Light ?

Rinse Final Spin Light ?

post YouTube video ?

Tried filming it, but there's nothing to see. The best I can do is to get the door lock light to come on and stay on (when I set the timer to the heavy wash cycle) but it doesn't advance. On any other setting, I get a brief flash of the door light and nothing more.

check the Door Switch

1343308.jpg

Bought a new timer. Installed just now. Works perfectly. Phew!

Although - that's two timers in two years. Anything I should be worried about?

Domo for the update but that's really odd. I have never replaced a timer in one of these machines. Tempted to a few times, but the problem always turned out to be something else. If wonder it it was a poor connection problem that inadvertently fixed when you replaced the timer.

For future readers, here's the part link to the timer ==> http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Timer/134330900/1038033?modelNumber=417.44042400