Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

frigidaire GSTR1670AS0 washer pump

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 occidental tourist

occidental tourist

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Harpoon IPA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

have a number of washers with similar operating systems in service. These were marketed under several manufacturer names and body styles but the interior workings seem more or less the same.

Complaint for this washer was failing to empty. In the past I've found change and other stuff in a plastic trap screen inside the drain boot leading from the drum to the pump.

This unit had no screen in it. Don't know if some are supplied that way or if someone removed it. when I put the number in the search engine above got various parts and a reasonably representative diagram is linked on the right if you follow through a hierarchical choice path, but it does not display the boot or filter, only the pump and drum.

In any event, while the pump seems clean as a whistle and has no broken vanes or any obstructions, the rotor has a spot in its revolution where it catches, every time you turn it around. I can literally not turn it with my finger and have to get a screw driver on some revolutions, then it is a little freer, but never without a catch on each revolution.

Don't know if this means its been compromised or if they are always like that. Have never caught the pump not starting myself but if it stopped at that point, I wonder if it might not start on occasion.

It runs a little more noisely than I have experienced which is another reason I'm looking at the pump itself.

Anyone with experience with this pump?

And can I get the filter somewhere to put in the boot to protect a replacement pump?

Thanks,

Brian

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

I believe replacing the pump is going to fix your problem.

These pump motors, because of the way there are made, (a round magnetic rotor with North/South poles), they can only stop in two different positions. This always starting/stopping at these same two positions eventually wears into one half of the rotor shaft which then lets the magnetic rotor attach itself to the inside of the pump housing, causing the binding you are experiencing.

If your motor was good you should be able to turn the impeller wheel freely with only the feel of resistance as the magnetic rotor passes the two positions, (180 degrees apart). You will just feel resistance then it will bounce past but not actually hang up.

When the rotor shafts wear as described above you can get very intermittent pump operation, as sometime it will start and drain OK then other times the motor will just lock up and not turn so no drain. The first time I ran into one like this it really caused a headache, I went back to two times and it pumped out every-time I was there but would seem to fail as soon as I left. The third time back I finally caught it in the act and disassemble the old bad pump and found the excessively worn rotor shafts.

You would think the bushings that the shaft rides in would wear down first not the ?hardened polished shaft but they don't. The must make those rotor shafts out of recycled cheap garbage or something.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1467804

Drain-Pump-137108000-00779450.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 occidental tourist

occidental tourist

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

If your motor was good you should be able to turn the impeller wheel freely with only the feel of resistance as the magnetic rotor passes the two positions, (180 degrees apart). You will just feel resistance then it will bounce past but not actually hang up.

Thanks much for the reply. I haven't experienced working with a motor that had such powerful magnets compared to the weight of the rotor such that slow speed turning produced even resistance that you noticed, so this is a new phenomenon to experience. I do believe am getting more resistance at the 360 deg than 180 , so the shaft may be unevenly worn and the resistance seems to vary so maybe there is a little end play and if you jiggle the thing around it gets in a happy spot and turns with less of a catch; then, take it around a few times and it gets harder again.

So new pump is on the way.

Now, in this case it definitely seems to be due to age and not abuse. there was no foreign stuff whatsoever in pump, no damage to veins. looked good. not surprising because the folks in this building are a little more festidious than some buildings I manage. But I was surprised to find no plastic cup-like screen in the bellows trap and no replacement offered in the parts list. Has your experience been that the 'filter' or 'trap' or . . . is an option?

Can anyone point to a source for a replacement. I'm assuming the bellows looks identical to the ones I've found with this cup screen in them and I probably can just stick one in.

thx. again budget app rep for the useful thoughts on pump.

brian

#5 occidental tourist

occidental tourist

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

http://www.repaircli...4885800/1258686

answered part of my own question.

apparently the washer I have was not supplied with this filter, however, a frigidaire FTF530FS1 takes the same coin trap hose (131784700) and is supplied with a plastic tube filter. so by logic this has to fit my machine even though it was not original equipment. maybe the machine without it is an earlier version and this cup was added to later models or something.

inquiring minds want to know. it was all I could do to get frigidaire, i.e. electrolux, to admit the thing existed, so I wasn't going to get down their R&D department or anybody who could really answer my question about why some washers don't have it. so if anyone can shed any light, would bring my appliantological compass back into balance.

Thanks,

brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics