Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

WSM2700DAWWW will not spin

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 broken stuff

broken stuff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guiness

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

the machine agitates ok but when it goes into spin the drum does not spin which caused the house to fill with black smoke while the belt melted against the motor pulley. I purchased a new belt and found that if i tensioned the tensioner or spun the transmission by hand it would spin. The drum seems to spin ok if i rotate it by hand. While looking at a parts diagram i could not find a clutch or anything else. Only a complete transmission. Machine has a 2/06 code. Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

... machine agitates ok
... spun the transmission by hand it would spin.
... The drum seems to spin ok if i rotate it by hand.
... belt melted against the motor pulley.

1) Motor works
2) Transmission not locked up
3) Tub turns OK ?
4) what's not moving ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

Top load Frigidaire built stack unit.

Just because you can turn the tub by hand doesn't mean it's OK, the lower one way bearing could be bad and locking up or the tub seal could be bad which would cause the upper spin bushing to gum up.

Do you see any signs of splatter inside the washer body at just the level of the bottom of the wash tub? If not then the seal and upper bushing is probably OK.

The belt is the clutch, (you have to use the correct OEM belt not just a regular auto/rubber belt of the same length). The belt is cloth covered and designed to slip until the tub is up to full speed. If the lower one way bearing is going bad and causing too much resistance to turning it will spin the motor pulley in one spot on the belt and burn the belt up.

You could also have an item of clothing that has got between the spin basket and outer tub that is causing it to not spin freely.

Turning by hand and the tub turns is not a good test unless you are experienced enough to know how one that is spinning correctly feels.

Your statement about it spinning OK if you put more tension on the tensioner leads me to believe that the transmission is binding up in some manner causing your problem. If the lower one-way bearing on the transmission is bad you have to replace the complete transmission, no parts are available to repair the transmission.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 broken stuff

broken stuff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

thanks for your response. The tub spins counterclockwise will not spin clockwise. Sounds like I may be buying a transmission. I am sure that a "Fermented Grand Master" such as yourself can direct me to parts and a repair manual. May your hops grow strong and plentiful.

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

That's what it is suppose to do, only turn free in one direction and lock in the other.

The lower one-way bearing can still be bad and causing it to drag or the upper bushing is gummed up or your have an article of clothing stuck between the spin basket and outer tub. It doesn't take much to hold the tub from spinning when it first starts the spin cycle.
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 broken stuff

broken stuff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

Thanks Willie. Where can I get a repair manual. It seems a bit diffficult to get the tub out with it being a stacked unit. I hope there is my wife's bra stuck in the tub so I can blame her !!!!!!!!!!!

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

Where can I get a repair manual.

GE WSM2700DAWWW built by Frigidaire
http://appliantology...-laundrycenter/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:13 AM

That's one thing I forgot to mention, the possibility of a bra underwire or nail sticking thru one of the basket holes and dragging against the outer tub, (I've seen bottoms cut out of the tub from a nail scribing a circle all the way around the bottom of the tub).

With a glove or rag in your hand run it around in the tub and see if you catch on anything maybe stuck in any of the holes and when you take the front off you can take a strong drop light and shine it down from inside the tub and look around underneath and around the sides for any shadows of anything stuck between the two tubs.
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 broken stuff

broken stuff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

Will do. I paid to be an apprentice so now I need to download the manual. I got the manual. Thanks.

Edited by broken stuff, 25 May 2012 - 08:30 AM.

#10 broken stuff

broken stuff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

I got the transmission out not much of a job. Now is there anyway to check it ? The bottom shaft spins counterclockwise locks if you try to turn clockwise. Is there a viscus coupling in the trans that could be bad ? I would like to know how it works. Also I found two of the legs cracked at the spot welds. thanks again.

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:06 AM

The two legs cracked at the spot welds is what was causing your problem, your old transmission, upper bushing and lower one-way bearing are most likely all OK.

When the spot welds break it puts things in a bind and will cause to much resistance for the clutching belt to get it turning and burns up the belt.

If you have it all apart you maybe able to repair it by using sheet metal screws or bolts where the spot welds are broken, (I've been successful in repairing one that way without even tearing the machine down. I was able to block things up and clamp the base back into position, drill thru the spot weld and used sheet metal screws to reattach. Lucky it was a front leg and easy to get to).

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 27 May 2012 - 06:07 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Troubleshooting a Frigidaire top-load washer that won't spin

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 19 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

Top load Frigidaire built stack unit.

Just because you can turn the tub by hand doesn't mean it's OK, the lower one way bearing could be bad and locking up or the tub seal could be bad which would cause the upper...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics