Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MDG8400AWW (Atlantis) only runs in cool-down cycle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 charlesc

charlesc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 05:15 PM

The dryer was working fine last night and had gone all the way into the "tumble only" end of the permanent press cycle and the clothes were dry.  Tossed in the next load and went through a cloud of bad karma - rotated the big white nob and pulled and all I got was an orange glow from the damp light.

Checked all the thermistors, thermal fuse, door switch and what-have-you and all seemed to be in working order.  Finally got lucky and discovered that the motor would come on in the tumble end of the permanent press cycle but nowhere else on the dial.  I'm wondering if I have a bad timer since I can't see anything else in the diagram that would only allow the motor to come on except a bad contact in the switch.  Am I in the right neighborhood?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,824 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 May 2005 - 05:50 PM

Won't run on timed dry, either? You need to check the timer to make sure it's doin' its thang. Get the wiring diagram out of the control panel and post it here or fax it to me: 775-416-4449.

#3 charlesc

charlesc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 06:02 PM

Nope. Won't run on timed dry either.

Here's the wiring diagram.

Attached Files

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,824 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:49 AM

Ok, this should be pretty easy to check out.  We'll look at YL 43 and GY 47 wires attached to the timer.  Remove either one of them to isolate the timer from the circuit.  Use your ohm meter to test continuity of from the timer pins that those two wires attach to on the timer.  Move the timer to other parts of the cycle and also to the tumble part of the permanent press cycle.  If you lose continuity through those pins during any of the other cycles, then the timer is bad.  If continuity is good, then it may be a bad motor but we'd need to do some other tests to confirm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics