Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Troubleshooting an LG Refrigerator - Seeking Second Opinion and Part Source

LG refrigerator LFC25776ST/00

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,146 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

Went on a call for an LG LFC25776ST/00 refrigerator today. Complaint was that the freezer was warm but the upper compartment seemed okay. Found the evap fan not running. My troubleshooting points to a bad muthaboard (main PCB in LG terminology), p/n EBR67348002. Here's the video of what I did. Looking for a second opinion/confirmation/critical review of my work.

Is it still possible that the evap fan is the problem? Should I order it in addition to the board?

Also, this board is backorder from every vendor I use, including APP and Marcone (RC doesn't even carry it). Anyone have a source for this board?

Domo!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

I believe that one of the functions of the "defrost control" is to allow the evaporator to flood prior to initiating fan and would therefore be looking for a fairly specific change in resistance once compressor is started - possibly the thermistor in the control has suffered some "freeze-thaw" damage ?

Defrost-Sensor-with-Fuse-6615JB2005H-006

http://www.repaircli...mber=LFC25776ST

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,146 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hmm, interesting angle, kdog. If this thermistor was damaged, would the unit even initiate a defrost cycle? Also, there were no error codes in the display-- not that error codes are conclusive-- but there are specific error codes for the FF, FZ, and DF sensors. If the DF thermistor was damaged, would this trigger an error code?

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

Probably depends how it has failed - from what I gather, the sensor readings are also used to determine frequency and lengths of defrost cycle depending on loads/demands etc.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,146 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:26 PM

It's worth going back and checking the defrost sensor. That function of the defrost sensor looking for the evaporator to flood is sublime-- wish LG was clearer about little tricks like this in their documentation.

So you're not convinced the board is bad?

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

Hard to say, but if there are that many backordered etc that may tell a story - not sure if you would be able to catch that act with a meter (temp change rate etc) - just thought I would throw some fuel on the fire

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,146 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

And good fuel it is! So much so that I'm going to pose that question to LG over the LG Tech site. I'll post back what they say, they're generally pretty quick about responding, should hear something back tomorrow.

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

You gonna need one of those controls in your stock sooner or later anyhow, might as well buy one and have a "known good" substitute

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

You gonna need one of those controls in your stock sooner or later anyhow, might as well buy one and have a "known good" substitute

seems that may be the only LG model number that uses that board.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,146 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

True enough and good advice. Adding it to my parts order now. :)

Just posted a ticket on the LG tech site. I'll post their reply here.

#11 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:03 AM

seems that may be the only LG model number that uses that board.

Was referring to the Defrost Control

#12 Rodgers Appl.

Rodgers Appl.

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Light Lime

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

Just checked ebay and i found some boards there if you cant find them anywhere else. I have found that I have to go there alot for some parts. It seems to work good but have to wait a little longer for shipping.

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,146 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

Domo, RA! I'll check it out.

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,146 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

Got the reply back from LG tech support. They confirmed that I just need to replace the main PCB (muthaboard). And now the Great Part Hunt begins!

#15 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

Did you get this one sorted out then ?

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,146 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:14 PM

It's still a work in progress. Replaced the Muthaboard and no change. Called LG techline and they said the problem has to be a software problem on the board and that I must have gotten a bad new board. They want me to replace the muthaboard yet again. So I've ordered another one (on back order). LG says if that doesn't fix it, they're going to replace the refrigerator for the customer. Cool dat!

#17 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:20 AM

Argh, then nobody learns

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LG, refrigerator, LFC25776ST/00

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics