Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Warm Fridge, Cold Freezer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 simanco

simanco

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

Hello all,

Sunday morning we had 60 degree milk.
Sunday afternoon we pulled the 'fridge and did a complete inside-out cleaning, including condensor coils and fan and everything underneath.
Condensor fan was running, compressor was running, evaporator fan was running.
On Monday, the 'fridge was barely holding 55 degrees. We called Mr. Appliance Repair Guy and he had me pull the freezer panel and check to see if the coils were all nicely frosted. They were not. By Monday night the food had been moved out and the 'fridge was up to about 80.

He came out Tuesday morning and added Freon after saying he saw no obvious leaks. He said it was pulling a vacuum when he started and he was aiming for about 5 lbs back-pressure.

It's now after midnight and technically Wednesday. The freezer is at -10 and the 'fridge is at 50 and seems to be stable at 50 and not getting any colder.

Mullion is HOT - no doubt because the compressor is running so much. The compressor IS running, the condensor fan IS running, the evaporator fan IS running.

Due to floor leveling issues, the 'fridge is actually elevated an extra inch or so. Due to kitchen design issues, their is a good 10 inches open behind the 'fridge and to the one side. Should be plenty of airflow (and always has been).

Is this normal behavior as the 'fridge cools itself back down?
The 'fridge is currently empty, with the food still in the reserve 'fridge in the basement. Will it help matters out to fill this thing up again?

It's a 29cubic foot "Montgomery Ward" side-by-side made-by-Admiral and is approaching 30 years old.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:04 AM

Ten Commandments for Reading Appliance Model Numbers :)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 simanco

simanco

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:16 AM

Of course ...

Model: HMG 289127C

Serial: 28D31381582

Thanks for the reminder!
Jim

#4 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

If you have -10 in your freezer and the evaporator fan is running then I would suspect the damper that allows air to flow into the refrig section or a blockage in the return duct. Feel for air coming out of the damper. Does the evaporator fan seem to be running at full speed?

Edited by SANTA, 23 May 2012 - 01:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics