Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore HE3 replaced fuse &thermistor still getting 3 beeps

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Vern Tinker

Vern Tinker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

I have a Kenmore Elite HE3 gas dryer Mod 110.92822101 and was getting the classic 3 beeps and flashing display. When I disassembled the dryer to replace the fuse and thermistor I noticed what apparently had created the problem. A dime had slipped through the lint filter and landed on top of the blower housing, sliding down and shorting out one of the fuse terminals and the fuse retention screw. I went and replaced the fuse, still 3 beeps, and then the thermistor. Still 3 beeps and flashing display. Any thoughts on what to do now? I thought this was a little out of the ordinary.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

You may have a damaged control board. What happens when you try to put it into diagnostic mode?

#3 Vern Tinker

Vern Tinker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:02 AM

I have attempted to find the procedure for putting it into the diagnostic mode and have failed. Do you have a downloadable service manual for this model that has diagnostic procedures. Are there multiple control boards?

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

Tech Sheet - 3980060.pdf
link PM'd

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Vern Tinker

Vern Tinker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the tech sheet, it's what I had been looking for.

When I try and put the dryer in diagnostic mode the response I get is this: all the panel lights come on red except the "clothes dry" status light comes on green, there is an "09" in the display, and the buttons below the display do not change the numbers. When attempting other tests I will get some beeps and the moisture sensor gave an "02" beep response.

Should I continue testing? Or do you have specific tests to run? Right now I am thinking the electronic control is smoked. Are there specific tests for confirmation.

Thanks for your response.

Vern

#6 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

What happens when the door switch is held down with your finger and then push the start button???........Pick any cycle, hold the door switch in the closed position and push start..........Still three beeps????

#7 Vern Tinker

Vern Tinker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:27 AM

Yes, still three beeps. I pulled the switch and tested it, it looks OK.

#8 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

Had dryer with the same symptoms...........Turned out the door was not closing the door switch.......................Once, I had a quarter welded to the terminal of the thermal fuse to ground, just tripped the breaker and would not let the breaker be reset..............

#9 Vern Tinker

Vern Tinker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

Thank you Sensei,

I will recheck the door switch, bypass if necessary to see if it has any effect. I had the same thing as your quarter except mine was a dime welded to the thermal fuse and ground, by the breaker are you talking about the line breaker or is there an internal one? When the quarter welded did you fine any other issues? did it effect the electronic control? ...........Vern

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

You'll als get the three beeps if you forgot to re-connect one of the harness connectors from the console to the main power board.

#11 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:48 AM

It was the breaker at the panel........Just broke the quarter loose and the dryer restarted O.K..............................................If all of the wiring is O.K..... ( that is the wiring from the switch to the control panel) ........It could be the control board has gone belly up.................Electronic control p/n 8546219.................................. What is an " 02 "beep response" ?? ....I do not have a tech sheet...............

#12 Vern Tinker

Vern Tinker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

FINALLY!

After looking at the wiring diagram I thought I needed to look at the electronic control board. I pulled the board and tested the heater relay, it tested ok and the board had no apparent visual defects. I started looking around the dryer to start tracing the wiring, then I found it. The wiring harness from the door switch had come loose from its anchor on the control board mounting bracket. The wires layed on the drum and eventually wore through the insulation exposing the wire. It had been that way a long time because the white ground wire had been worn almost entirely through, it didn't become an issue until the dime shorted out the thermal fuse.

I replaced the wire segment and tried diagnostic testing again. BINGO...the "88" resonse immediately came up on the control panel. I did a few more tests and everything appeared ok. I tried a dryer cycle and it functioned correctly.

The "02" and a beep was the response we would get when we put it in diagnostic mode before the wire was repaired.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Until the next time,
Vern

#13 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

Vern, thank you for the report on your dryer...... :thumbsup: ....Good info even for a seasoned tech...........I was kinda pointing you in that direction cuz of the units I have worked on ( electric or gas ) with three beeps I always find a problem with the door switch system.....................could be other reasons, ... :blinky: .....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics