Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 13742k601 Leaking

kenmore 13742k601 leak

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stuart Wilde

Stuart Wilde

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:root

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:33 AM

Our Kenmore dishwasher of the past 3-4 years has just recently started to leak periodically. The model number is 665.13742k601.

I've looked through the Diagnosing Door Leaks page, and everything seems ok there. We're using the same liquid detergent that we've used for most of its life (briefly we used powder, but it didn't seem to fully empty from the tray... not sure if that's a hard-water thing?).

The worst part is that it doesn't seem to happen every time. It first happened last Thursday. That night we looked at things, ran it through a couple cycles, and couldn't see anything wrong. We assumed that something must have got in the way of one of the side gaskets. We ran it once on Friday with no problems. But, when we ran it Saturday (tonight) there was a good sized pool of water underneath / in-front of the unit.

I took the lower panel off and can roughly see where I think it's coming from. On the right side of the door, there is a wire harness. The water seems to drip down that. There does appear to be something else attached to the harness, but I am not able to figure out what.

Lastly, I've checked the float, and it appears to freely move up and down. When I attempt to stop the unit and see if the water level is just too high, it doesn't appear so. (That could be that i am just not stopping it at the right point... it would be nice to use the point of the cycle where it starts to leak, but I can't seem to get it to leak right now).

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:51 AM

generally speaking, an intermittent problem is caused by external, rather than internal forces. Id check detergent type, amount and loading patterns first, assuming the door gasket is in good shape of course. how does the spray arm look? a split seam can be very subtle and hard to see. let us know what you find.Happy hunting.
Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

If one of the Spray Arms stops moving (hits a dish, or any other reason)
It may cause water to leak out the Front Door.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Ritz

Ritz

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

Take all the advice from the experts above.
Sometimes removing the front panel, taking a comfy seat on the floor (don't take a coffee break or you may miss it leak) and running the dishwasher can reveal its leaky source.

#5 Stuart Wilde

Stuart Wilde

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

assuming the door gasket is in good shape of course

As far as I am able to tell it is. When it last leaked, I was careful to try and not move water around to places that it wasn't already. When I ran my finger around the edge of the door, it was dry the entire way. However, I am not sure how to check the edge on the bottom.

how does the spray arm look? a split seam can be very subtle and hard to see

As with the door seal, everything here looks ok.

Take all the advice from the experts above.
Sometimes removing the front panel, taking a comfy seat on the floor (don't take a coffee break or you may miss it leak) and running the dishwasher can reveal its leaky source.

This is something I was doing last night, and was how I was able to determine that the drips were coming from the wire harness.

If one of the Spray Arms stops moving (hits a dish, or any other reason)
It may cause water to leak out the Front Door.

This seems reasonable, but I am curious why it seems that it is just starting to do it. We've had the unit for several years with no problems, until this week.

/sigh

I'm going to try was just running it with nothing loaded and see if it leaks at all.

#6 Stuart Wilde

Stuart Wilde

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

Well. Several more days spent watching the unit. No leaks.

I'm happy there are no leaks, but a bit frustrated that I don't really know why. Our leading guess is that we had a pan handle that was hanging down blocking the lower arm. It just seems odd that we would have gone 4 years without any problems, then have 2 out of 3 loads leak (significant leaks too).

Anyway, thank you for the help you guys provided... and nothing personal, but I don't hope to be back :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics