Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:14 PM
Early 1980's built in microwave/oven combo Whirlpool RM278PXL. The microwave was acting up (overheating things?) and then today no power to either the microwave or oven. Owner checked and no gfci or circuit tripped. What should I be looking at/ testing? I have looked at RepairClinic and there still are some parts available.
Thanks in advance,
Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:58 PM
Congrats on the Big Leap! It's a scary but exciting time-- there's nothing like being your own boss. And you actually have more job security being self-employed than you do working for The Man because you're more in control of your own destiny.
Do you have the tech sheet or wiring diagram for this unit? There has to be a thermal cutoff that's tripped and killing power to the unit. Also, have you checked the incoming power supply with a meter?
- kdog likes this
Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:46 PM
no power to either Oven ?
... no power to either the microwave or oven.
then it's a connection box OR house power problem
Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957
Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestions (and encouragement!)
Today will be my first time on site so I will look at the power supply and see....
Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:29 PM
When I arrived the display read "000" and the light worked when I opened the door so it obviously had power. I put in a wet dishrag and turned it on. It ran and the rag was heated. I guess it's one of those things like the symptoms always disappear at the Dr's office
So, what should I be checking?
Thanks in advance,
Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:16 AM
I never heard of a microwave heating too much!!!!
Me neither! I think they left something in there too long and, coincidentally, one of the HV components failed later. There may be no connection between the "overheating" and component failure.
Here's how to troubleshoot the microwave using the Divide and Conquer Method™ ==> http://appliantology...conquer-method/
Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:10 AM
Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:31 PM
- Samurai Appliance Repair Man likes this
Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:58 AM
If there is a stirrer fan in a microwave and for some reason it doesn't turn NCARepair is absolutely correct that you will have hot spots and if the item being heated happens to be just in that spot all the microwave beams hit it directly instead of being dispersed evenly around the microwave cavity
Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 06 June 2012 - 06:02 AM.
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501
Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:46 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users