Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GB9SHDXPQ02-whirlpool Btm Mount, not defrosting.

whirlpool btm mount not defrosting thermostat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brooke Falconer

Brooke Falconer

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heif

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hello Gang, I have a Whirlpool Btm Mount GB9SHDXPQ02 with a defrost problem. I tried to run it through test program but not sure if it was successful. It seems all the thermistors are in good shape or received a 'pass'. Heater ohm'ed out at 32-so that is good. When I got to the thermostat test it read 1 in the left or "freezer' side and 5 on the "fridge' side. Of course when looking through the tech sheet this part of the sheet was ripped apart....I am pretty sure that is indicative of a shorted thermostat and therefor would require replacement, but am not 100% sure of the tech sheet. Any thoughts?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

1, S is indicative of a shorted thermostat. 1, 0 is pass
Posted Image

Edited by RussTech, 07 June 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#3 Brooke Falconer

Brooke Falconer

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heif

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

Thank you! That's the exact part of the paper that was ripped through! I shall order a thermostat immediately! :thanks:

#4 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Caffeine

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

Noooo... a shorted thermostat is a good thermostat if the unit is cold. That thermostat is technically called a defrost "terminator" because if the unit gets warm (40ish degrees or so) then the terminator will open and "terminate" the defrost... which prevents the heater from coming on, melting the plastic.

In other words, it won't let the heater come on if there is not ice to absorb the heat.

This unit is practically the same one as the Maytag PBF Series. Whirlpool owns Maytag and the units are released under different model numbers but they both use the 12868513 Main Board... which is quickly becoming notorious for defost issues.

For a more detailed walk through of this see the reply I just did for this thread:
http://appliantology...tor-pbf2255hew/

Edited by ScottsApplianceRepar, 07 June 2012 - 10:53 PM.

Me: "Why are my customers always so happy to see me arrive but then say they hope to not see me again anytime soon?"
Joe Customer: "Because we have to pay you to leave."

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,642 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

Part link to the main control board ==> http://www.repaircli...2868513/1472681

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics