Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Jenn-Air oven door *still* won't close right

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ethanb

ethanb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Old Rasputin

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:21 AM

Jenn-Air model SVD48600P, circa 2000. I've replaced both hinges, both brackets, and the gasket and it still won't seal correctly. It just sits there slightly ajar. I can push it closed correctly but it just springs back out half an inch when I let go. Nothing is bent in any way that is obvious to me. This range is new to me so I have never seen it without this problem.

Any ideas? I've taken it apart and put it back together about 50 times and can't see anything odd.

At first I thought that the door switches (there are two) were holding it open. I removed one, and now I can actually look from the side and see that the door stops before it touches the remaining switch.

I think the gasket is hitting at the bottom...I may try removing the gasket just to see what happens. I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks!

Ethan

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:27 AM

I don't know if it makes a difference,
but did you follow the directions for the Door Gasket,in the service manual ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

With the door closed, is the door gasket making contact with the oven frame???......................When the unit is in ' self-clean', does the door latch cam over and latch the door , does the door get pulled up tight to the oven frame?????.................. When the oven door is closed, it is not an 'air tight' seal...........The gasket should make contact on all sides.............When the oven is in 'self-clean' that is more like an 'air tight' seal..... ( gotta keep the 1000 degs inside )..........Any scorching of the painted surfaces over the door on the oven frame???????.............Got Pictures?????

#4 ethanb

ethanb

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Old Rasputin

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:02 AM

Thanks to both of you! I did follow the directions, which simply says to clip in the gasket (very brief directions!). When the door is closed, the gasket touches at the bottom but not at the top. I haven't tried self-clean, but will do that and let you know. I also intend to try removing the gasket completely and seeing if that changes things at all. I'll upload pics, too.

There was marking above the door--in fact I got this oven because it had a failure in the control unit, which is right above the door. I fixed that, and also found other problems including this door problem which might be the actual root cause.

Thanks again! Much appreciated; more soon.

Ethan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics