Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
ethanb

Jenn-Air oven door *still* won't close right

4 posts in this topic

Jenn-Air model SVD48600P, circa 2000. I've replaced both hinges, both brackets, and the gasket and it still won't seal correctly. It just sits there slightly ajar. I can push it closed correctly but it just springs back out half an inch when I let go. Nothing is bent in any way that is obvious to me. This range is new to me so I have never seen it without this problem.

Any ideas? I've taken it apart and put it back together about 50 times and can't see anything odd.

At first I thought that the door switches (there are two) were holding it open. I removed one, and now I can actually look from the side and see that the door stops before it touches the remaining switch.

I think the gasket is hitting at the bottom...I may try removing the gasket just to see what happens. I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks!

Ethan

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I don't know if it makes a difference,

but did you follow the directions for the Door Gasket,in the service manual ?

With the door closed, is the door gasket making contact with the oven frame???......................When the unit is in ' self-clean', does the door latch cam over and latch the door , does the door get pulled up tight to the oven frame?????.................. When the oven door is closed, it is not an 'air tight' seal...........The gasket should make contact on all sides.............When the oven is in 'self-clean' that is more like an 'air tight' seal..... ( gotta keep the 1000 degs inside )..........Any scorching of the painted surfaces over the door on the oven frame???????.............Got Pictures?????

Thanks to both of you! I did follow the directions, which simply says to clip in the gasket (very brief directions!). When the door is closed, the gasket touches at the bottom but not at the top. I haven't tried self-clean, but will do that and let you know. I also intend to try removing the gasket completely and seeing if that changes things at all. I'll upload pics, too.

There was marking above the door--in fact I got this oven because it had a failure in the control unit, which is right above the door. I fixed that, and also found other problems including this door problem which might be the actual root cause.

Thanks again! Much appreciated; more soon.

Ethan