Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

TFX22ZRXF GE refrigerator Ice dispencer problem

ice dispencer problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 closeups

closeups

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Ice dispencer chute has frost built up. It appears that Flapper is not closed all the way. Ice maker works, when crushed/cubed ice is requirested, notthing comes out. I hear sound of augur and Ice gets backed up in the door. I removed the front panel but could not determin if this is Flapper or Spring that keeps flapper closed or Solenoid. Any one has any idea? Right now I am keeping piece of cloth to keep pressure on flapper to keep it close and prevent further ice build up.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

Usually it's the solenoid that goes bad on these.

http://www.repaircli...WR62X107/305701
Scott Wolf

#3 closeups

closeups

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

What is function of solenoid? Keeping flapper close or Open when pressed for ICE?

#4 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

Solenoid opens the door...... Spring closes the door..................On this model , I think the weight of the armature helps keep the door closed also................

#5 closeups

closeups

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

It looks like when ice is requested (pressing switch on middle of wall), armature energizes and pulls the solenoid in. Solenoid is connected to flapper through lever and flapper is on the lever. So, end result is Open flapper. When switch is off, current does not flow through armature and pulling force on solenoid is gone. Only force exist is force of spring that helps to return the flapper in original position. If spring is the only force for closing the flapper, then I would think action of Spring is weaken and flapper does not get close completely. I did not use any measuring device to measure voltage/current at the armature.
Let me know if anyone has different opinion or information.

#6 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Caffeine

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

What you see is often a symptom, not the cause. The solenoid is probably rusted and seized. However, that may a symptom and not the root cause.

Check the door flapper seal to ensure it's seating properly and not allowing air to leak out. Also check to ensure that the freezer is not set colder than 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Colder than 0 is getting into what's called "Bar Ice" because it's so cold that it takes a long time to warm up to the point that it will melt so it keeps your drink cold longer without watering down your drink. However, there is a problem with that...

Bar ice is meant to be scooped out of a tub by a bartender, not dispensed from a refrigerator ice dispenser. The dispenser breaks the cubes for crushed ice and even when dispensing cubed ice there are cubes that get trapped halfway and then broken in half as the auger turns. When you do this to ice that is between 0 and 32 it's not a problem but once the ice gets below 0 F it doesn't just break... it shatters into tiny snowy little bits and fluffy stuff. This stuff gets caught in the door flapper, preventing a good seal. Without a good seal frost builds in the chute, making the seal even worse.

The real problem with all this is that with the chute pinned open you have a small amount of frost melting all the time, causing a drip. That drip often runs down into the guts of the dispenser... rusting the solenoid and also trickling all over the electronic board that is behind the panel.

Electricity + water leak = Fizzel, pop, dead board.

So what starts as a little snow in the chute can turn into a rusted solenoid and a shorted out board... and boards are expensive.

I always advice customers to not allow a freezer to get below 0 if there is an ice dispenser. Yes, the ice cream could be a little softer because of this but it beats a fried circuit board. If there is no ice dispenser then turn it down as far as you like, it won't hurt a thing.

Scott
Me: "Why are my customers always so happy to see me arrive but then say they hope to not see me again anytime soon?"
Joe Customer: "Because we have to pay you to leave."

#7 closeups

closeups

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

Over the weekend, I opened up the ICE dispenser assembly. Removed plate and then the next is the block where circuit board is. Everything is well protected and without moisture. Clean and rust free. Even Solenoid armature and solenoid looked like a brand new. There was little dirt on the wall. It appears that Flapper did not close completely and I assume it sucked the moisture in and built frosting in the chute. I never put refrigerator beyond #3, so I don't think that should be a problem for 0 F case. Refrigerator defrost-cycles through ok.

Normally, after the ICE is dispensed, Flapper closes with noticeable sound like 'thug'. Since this problem, I haven't heard this sound. When chute is not overly clogged, crushed ice will still come out. Cube will bet stuck and will not make it. It will be collected behind the door.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics