Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

KitchenAid kddc24cvs freezes up with ice maker on

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tom F

Tom F

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

My KitchenAid kddc24cvs seemed to work fine for several months without the Ice Maker turned on, but after I turned on the Ice Maker, within 2 or 3 days the circulating fan seems to have frost buildup. I have unplugged the unit and thawed the ice buildup and it would frost up again if the ice maker is turned on. Then, if I turn off the ice maker and leave it off, the kddc24cvs runs without a problem.

Bottom line: it works great with the ice maker off but freezes in 2 or 3 days with ice maker on.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

Sounds like a leak in the I/M fill circuit - what is freezing up exactly ? have you removed the rear freezer panel to inspect the coil for ice/frost ?
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Tom F

Tom F

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Before my original post I called a local repair tech (from the Factory Authorized KitchenAid repair company - I actually scheduled the service call through KitchenAid) who came out and aside from not being able to properly take the unit apart and re-assembling it, his initial diagnosis was a bearing on the fan motor had gone bad. That is how loud the noise was from the cooling fan hitting the frost buildup. I continued to explain the symptoms to him and he finally opened up the interior rear panel and saw the frost/ice buildup. His solution was to defrost the unit and turn it back on without the ice maker and he would contact me in a couple of days. His fix is to replace what I believe he called the ACM module which I understand is basically the computer module that controls the unit (but he is not exactly sure where it is located). Price estimate is about $700 to repair.

When I originally called KitchenAid they speculated that the unit was not going into Defrost but I ran the unit for over 5 months without the Ice Maker on and it never had a problem with Frost Buildup.

The last time it froze up - it happened in less than 3 days (Sunday night to Wednesday Morning so roughly 60 hours) from the time I turned on the Ice Maker. The amount of water removed from the Overflow pan after it defrosted manually looked like it was almost a quart of water so I can't see the ice evaporating that much water in roughly 60 hours. It was more water than the overflow pan could hold.

This is the under cabinet Refrigerator Freezer with an Ice Maker. The Refrigerator and the Freezer each have a separate drawer. I removed the Drawers and the Ice Maker and opened up the rear panel myself after it had been running a couple of days without the Ice Maker.

The Ice Maker water path looks like it comes into the unit, through the water filter, to the valve that controls the water inlet. From the valve there is a feed line across the back of the unit to an Elbow that enters the freezer section. A Sleeve slides over the Elbow inside the rear access panel to complete the path from the Elbow to the Ice Maker. To the right of where the elbow enters the unit are the cooling coils (behind the rear cover). The circulating fan is in front of the cooling coils.

The Ice Maker was not on when I took the unit apart so the unit was not frozen up but it looks like the Fins on the coil must be collecting moisture and freezing up. That eventually builds up to a point where the circulating fan in the freezer compartment hits the frost/ice buildup.

I took the cover off of the ice maker front and shorted the 2 contacts to allow for water to flow like it would when it was filling the Ice Maker. The water appeared to flow fine. I could not detect any leaks.

If I stopped up the sleeve that went over the elbow, water would flow between the sleeve and the elbow. That I considered as a possible cause for the problem. I speculated that if the sleeve was stopped up with an ice plug it could cause water to spray backwards and perhaps hit the coils but I realized that if that were the case 1) I would notice smaller ice cubes in the tray and 2) the pan to catch that would catch water as the unit defrosted would have water in it. The Ice seemed like it was a normal size and the overflow pan was empty so I concluded that the water inlet is not the source.

I re-assembled the unit and turned it back on to stabilize before I turn on the Ice Maker. I also turned the temperature in the freezer down to its lowest setting.

It has been running for a couple of days now and I will turn the Ice Maker back on tonight and see what happens with the coldest temperature setting for the freezer.

#4 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

Sounds like an icemaker water leak issue to me.

Although you have not seen it YET.

#5 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

Another thought is, feel the bottom of the icemaker after it has been on for awhile to see if it is warm. The icemaker heater may be creating heat causing excess condensation.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

... what is freezing up exactly ?

pictures ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics