Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 110.70072990 by whirlpool dryer stuck key? how to open console?

kenmore dryer 110.70072990 stuck key kenmore dryer open console

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 phreich

phreich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hi guys and gals,

I have a Kenmore 110.70072990 gas dryer that seems to have a stuck key on the keypad.

I figured the first thing to try would be to open up the control panel and see if I could remove the keypad and clean out any junk that could have accumulated there. It took me a while, but I finally figured out how to get the panel open. It wouldn't open using a putty knife to open spring clips on the front (becaise whirlpool didn't use them on this model), and the ends didn't seem to want to pop off by gentle prying sideways as was suggested by some others on the web. It wasn't until I attempted to pry the end caps off by pulling FORWARD on the top of the end cap that I made progress. Once I got the end caps off the screws were exposed, and it came open easily. I guess that whirlpool has updated their methods.....

The symptom is that the dryer constantly goes back to the Cotton preset, no matter what button is pushed, and then beeps constantly while the dryer is running.

Prior to this, dryer seemed to run fine, except the automatic moisture control was not reading properly and it had to be used with a timed cycle. Then this keypad issue surfaced....

I believe I have eliminated the control board as the issue -- when I disconnect the keypad from the control board while it is running the beeping stops. Connecting it back causes it to start again.

I gently pried off the cover for the keypad/control panel.and exposed the switches -- no obvious issues -- all of them still had their dome shape. I gently pried loose the "cotton preset" switch top and found nothing underneath that would explain a short. I followed the path of the printed circuit and tested the switch using an ohm meter and it seemed to be open unless pressed. I am thinking that there must be a short somewhere in the printed circuit -- but it's not obvious. Does anyone have any suggestions or do I just need to bite the bullet and get a new keypad?

I am temporarily going to plug the hole in the beeper so that I can run it on the cotton preset until I get an answer from you folks.

Also, any good links to a service manual for this machine, or it's whirlpool cousin?

I await the wisdom of the Samuai Appliantologists....

Philip (aka phreich)
P.S.. I tried to look at the picture that was pointed to by the old site, but it seems to no longer be available there or on this site. See this thread for the link: http://applianceguru...m1/13091.html�� The JPEG image it refers to is titled: "WPconsole.JPG" but the link doesn't work, and the file doesn't seem to be present on the new website.

Edited by phreich, 20 June 2012 - 01:38 AM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

The problem is the keypad/console and there isn't really anyway to fix them except to replace it with a new one.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,401 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

Part link to the touchpanel/console with a 365-day return policy ==> http://www.repaircli...er=110.70072990

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

"WPconsole.JPG"
attachment.php?id=1944

from the tech sheets Diagnostic Test # 5:
No dryer function is activated when a particular touchpad is pressed:
If the associated LEDs do light up, it is possible that the control board has failed.
Check touchpad functioning (see box at right) before replacing control board.

Tech Sheet - 3977701.pdf
link PM'd

Control Board
http://www.repaircli...tDetail/1026860

Main-Control-Board-280070-00707942.jpg

Any part ordered from RepairClinic can be returned for a refund for any reason (less shipping)
(even installed electrical parts)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 phreich

phreich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for the responses!

RegUS_PatOff PM'd me the tech sheet (it was missing from the dryer).

I figured I didn't have anything to lose, so I gently pulled/peeled the cover off the panel (it is held together with some kind of contact cement) and found that one of the lines going to the "cotton preset" switch on the plastic circuit board had shorted -- I cut the line prior to the short (which disabled two of the preset switches -- not a big deal), and the panel is working again. I may try to solder a jumper across the shorted area and see if I can get the two switches back. It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend about $200 for a replacement panel for a 10 year old dryer.

If I feel more flush and decide to go for a replacement panel, do you know if they corrected the problem that causes these shorts, or is it likely to occur again in the replacement panel?

Thanks again!

Phililp

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:26 AM

I personally don't think a new panel would be any different then the older ones, they all seem to develop problems sometime during there life. You got 10 years out of the original one, that's pretty good I would say.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics