Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Washer Won't Spin WBXR1060T5WW

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jw9259

jw9259

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:48 AM

I have a problem with a GE washer, model# WBXR1060T5WW, S/N GS909221G.  This is my daughter's, and the complaint is that it wouldn't agitate or spin.  I went over there and put a new belt on, just because it was cheap and easy to do.  Started a load of clothes and it started agitating.  We then went out and had a beer to celebrate the victory, but when we came back the clothes were sopping wet.  It hadn't done a spin.  The timer showed it had completed the spin cycle, but it didn't really spin.  We then watched a cycle, and sure enough the motor pulley and belt weren't turning. There was a lot of noise, but no spin.  I opened the lid and everything stopped, shut the lid and you could see the motor pulley give a jerk like it was trying to spin, but then it abruptly stopped like there was a brake or something.  We did this a bunch of times with the same result - no spin.  I looked at the bottom of the pulley, and in the center you could see it spinning but the pulley itself wasn't spinning.  The pulley was pretty warm to the touch.  I also noticed that there was some water under the cabinet - that isn't really a problem for us as it is outside in a shed, but it might be a clue.
Any suggestions?  I don't want to spend much money because we only paid $35 for it about a year ago.  It is a most unworthy appliance.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,642 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:50 AM

Take the belt off and run the washer to see if the motor will turn without a load.

#3 jw9259

jw9259

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:04 AM

OK, I'll try that.  Probably be a couple of days before I can do it.  We did remove all of the clothes and there wasn't any water in there, and it still wouldn't turn.

#4 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:04 AM

Newer style GE - long history of transmission/brake issues with these. Best course of action is explained at this link:

http://www.big-boys....ernadewash.html
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#5 jw9259

jw9259

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:40 AM

Thanks.  I agree.

#6 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:58 AM

Glad you saw the funny side:banana:

In all seriousness, this design has probably had more major problems than any other washer on the market today (although the Maytag Neptune and the Friggidaire front loader are running it close).
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#7 jw9259

jw9259

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:55 PM

I ran the motor test. First I verified that it wouldn't spin with the belt installed. I then took off the belt and turned it on, and the motor turned fine. The pulley was turning. I then unplugged it and tried to turn the tranny. I could move it, but it was tough and there was quite a bit of back pressure, meaning I would move it a bit, let go, and it would move backwards some. But I could turn it with a bit of effort. I then put the belt back on and tried again. This time the motor pulley would just barely turn, and the tranny was turning slowly too. It finally made it around 1 revolution and then stopped, and that's where I stopped too. I would guess there is something wrong with the transmission. Right?

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,642 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:40 PM

That would be the inescapable conclusion. :groucho:

Sounds like new washer time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics