Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot using schematics like a real tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
jw9259

GE Washer Won't Spin WBXR1060T5WW

8 posts in this topic

I have a problem with a GE washer, model# WBXR1060T5WW, S/N GS909221G.  This is my daughter's, and the complaint is that it wouldn't agitate or spin.  I went over there and put a new belt on, just because it was cheap and easy to do.  Started a load of clothes and it started agitating.  We then went out and had a beer to celebrate the victory, but when we came back the clothes were sopping wet.  It hadn't done a spin.  The timer showed it had completed the spin cycle, but it didn't really spin.  We then watched a cycle, and sure enough the motor pulley and belt weren't turning. There was a lot of noise, but no spin.  I opened the lid and everything stopped, shut the lid and you could see the motor pulley give a jerk like it was trying to spin, but then it abruptly stopped like there was a brake or something.  We did this a bunch of times with the same result - no spin.  I looked at the bottom of the pulley, and in the center you could see it spinning but the pulley itself wasn't spinning.  The pulley was pretty warm to the touch.  I also noticed that there was some water under the cabinet - that isn't really a problem for us as it is outside in a shed, but it might be a clue.

Any suggestions?  I don't want to spend much money because we only paid $35 for it about a year ago.  It is a most unworthy appliance.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Take the belt off and run the washer to see if the motor will turn without a load.

OK, I'll try that.  Probably be a couple of days before I can do it.  We did remove all of the clothes and there wasn't any water in there, and it still wouldn't turn.

Glad you saw the funny side:banana:

In all seriousness, this design has probably had more major problems than any other washer on the market today (although the Maytag Neptune and the Friggidaire front loader are running it close).

I ran the motor test. First I verified that it wouldn't spin with the belt installed. I then took off the belt and turned it on, and the motor turned fine. The pulley was turning. I then unplugged it and tried to turn the tranny. I could move it, but it was tough and there was quite a bit of back pressure, meaning I would move it a bit, let go, and it would move backwards some. But I could turn it with a bit of effort. I then put the belt back on and tried again. This time the motor pulley would just barely turn, and the tranny was turning slowly too. It finally made it around 1 revolution and then stopped, and that's where I stopped too. I would guess there is something wrong with the transmission. Right?

That would be the inescapable conclusion. :groucho:

Sounds like new washer time.