Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Subzero Refrigerator #532 Ice on back wall of Fresh Food Section

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tumblin'man

tumblin'man

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin' Donuts coffee

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

Low end apprentice (me) has another high end appliance question.

I have a question about Subzero refrigerators specifically Model #532, with 2 compressors and 2 evaporators.

There is ice buildup on the lower left side of the back wall of the fresh food section. I spoke to a Subzero tech and he said the cause of this is a refrigerant leak.

I am trying to figure out why this is so. I would explain it by saying: I know that the refrigerator evaporator uses off cycle defrost. I figure the refrigerator compressor is always running because the cold control is not being satisfied. (Customer has control set to 10, the highest setting). So the refrigerator evaporator never has a chance to defrost. So even though there isn’t enough a full amount of refrigerant, the coils over time are getting all frosted over. This is near the fresh food back panel, so when moist air hits the cold surface of the back of the fresh food section wall frost forms.

Can someone let me know if this is right? Thanks a lot.

PS Many thanks to this website for making the Subzero service manuals available.

PPS The subzero tech was easy to get hold of, I just called customer service and they offered to let me talk to him, Subzero customer service # is 800-222-7820 8-5 central time if anyone else is interested. Thanks for listening.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

if you can remove that cover and have a look at the frost pattern of the Evaporator Coils.
They should be evenly, completely, lightly frosted.
If there's a leak, the entire Evaporator won't be frosted ...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 tumblin'man

tumblin'man

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

Sensei, thank you for your reply.

Could the refrigerator evaporator, not the freezer evaporator, be thickly frosted due to a leak because there is no off-cycle defrost occurring? Otherwise, how would the back wall of the refrigerator (not the freezer) get a big frost build-up on it?

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

You will find ice/frosting only on the very first few inches of the evaporator.

Where the capillary tube enters the evaporator it will grow a giant iceball because the compressor never turns off because it never gets cold enough. Being low on freon causes only the first few inches or maybe a few rows of the evaporator to frost but it doesn't have enough cooling capacity to ever satisfy the t-stat so just runs continuously trying to get cold enough and growing the iceball larger until ice is seen on the back wall of the refrig panel as you are seeing now.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 tumblin'man

tumblin'man

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Thank you Willie for your explanation. That explains it perfectly. Your reply is very much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics