Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo
- - - - -

Troubleshooting a No Ice Complaint and Testing-Replacing a Whirlpool Modular Ice Maker

Whirlpool ice maker modular

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,692 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

The Whirlpool modular ice maker is the most commonly used ice maker in refrigerators today.  You'll even find these ice makers in non-Whirlpool refrigerators.  If you're a professional appliantologist, this is the ice maker you'll most frequently encounter on service calls.  

When you're troubleshooting these ice makers for a no ice complaint, the first thing you need to know is the freezer temperature.  There's a thermostat built into the ice maker that will shut it off if the freezer temperature is above 17F.  And unless you have a calibrated palm, you can't tell the difference between 15F and 20F by feel so you have be able to get an accurate temperature shoot.  I like using an infrared temperature gun; my personal favorite and the one I've used joyfully for years is the Raytek MT6 Non-contact MiniTemp Infrared ThermometerPosted Image
Okay, if freezer temperature is good, then you focus on the Big Three Causes for No Ice in a Whirlpool Modular Ice Maker™:

- bad water inlet solenoid valve
- plugged ice maker fill tube
- bad ice maker control module 

The easiest way to check all three at once is to run a manual harvest cycle on the ice maker.  This video shows how to do that:

If the ice maker won't start the harvest, it's a dead ice maker or bad control module; doesn't matter which, either way, just replace the whole ice maker.  I used to mess around with replacing just the control module but for just a few bucks more, you can replace the entire ice maker and it's a more reliable repair.  Here's the replacement ice maker kit I used to fix this problem ==> http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Ice-Maker-Assembly/4317943/1857

If the ice maker does the harvest but no water enters the mold at the end of the cycle, then either the fill tube is plugged or the water inlet valve is bad.  This video shows how to test the water inlet valve:

You can buy the replacement water inlet valve for any brand or model of refrigerator here ==> http://www.repairclinic.com/Refrigerator-Valve-Float-Parts

You can find whatever appliance part you need through the parts search box right here at Appliantology.org.  No harm in buying and trying with our 365-day, no-hassle return policy, even on electrical parts that were installed!

The Appliance Guru provides prompt, convenient service in the following towns in New Hampshire: New London, Elkins, Wilmot, Springfield, Georges Mills, Sunapee, Mt. Sunapee, Newbury, Sutton, Bradford, Warner, Grantham, and the Eastman Community.  Visit our website for more info and a discount coupon on your next service call ==> http://applianceguru.com

Subscribe to our FREE, award-winning newsletter, Appliantology: The Oracle of Appliance Enlightenment ==> http://newsletter.appliantology.org and download your free report on appliance brand recommendations!  Every issue is jam-packed with appliance repair tips and inside information direct from the Samurai's fingertips to your engorged and tingling eyeballs. 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 tommytech

tommytech

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:guiness

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

what about w/p optics-reciever emitter boards?

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,692 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

Good question! This one didn't have the optics control but I'm gonna do a video on how to diagnose those next time I get a service call on one. Look for it in a future post. Stay tuned!

#4 ddunk1946

ddunk1946

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Miller Light

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

How about a Samsung RF265AB (BP)? The factory ice-maker looks suspiciously familiar. I wouldn't bring this up, but now that we're using more ice this summer, I seem to notice that the ice in the bin is in little bits and not the semi-circular ice that it used to deliver. (I think). Or maybe I have never paid attention to ice cube size. I DO change the on-board filter religiously. It makes plenty o'ice but I seem to remember larger cubes. Not the end of the world, what with everything else that's going on in the world, but this issue of the newsletter got me to thinking.
Thankyew!

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,692 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

Samsung is one of the exceptions to the rule, they use their own sucky ice makers in their refrigerators. Here's a listing of the various types of Samsung ice makers ==> http://www.repaircli...Ice-Maker-Parts

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Whirlpool, ice maker, modular

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics