Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Hotpoint Gas Oven Ignitor Replacement

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PebbleInHand

PebbleInHand

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ithaca Flower Power

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

I'm pretty certain I have a bad ignitor in the oven on a GE Hotpoint gas oven. The broiler ignitor heats up and lights fine. The lower ignitor does nothing.

I'm pretty certain this is the part I need, But would like confirmation:

http://www.repaircli...earch=Get Parts

I'd also like a copy of the service manual if available and any advice on how to replace these. The video I watched showed how to test to see if the part was bad but I'm pretty certain it is and need to do this as quickly as possible so I'd rather just get the part and replace it. It looks pretty simple but I've fallen for that before.

SERIAL: VZ206781R

MODEL: RGB745BEA4WH

Thanks!

Let me try that again

here is the part http://www.repaircli...er=RGB745BEA4WH

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

This oven is pretty simple.
Remove the oven racks.
Remove the oven base pan.
Remove the flame spreader over the oven bake burner.
Remove the 2 screws in the ignitor.
Install the new ignitor and re-assemble the oven.Attached File  RGB745BEA4WH.gif   20.37KB   15 downloads

#3 PebbleInHand

PebbleInHand

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

Thanks!

#4 PebbleInHand

PebbleInHand

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

Actually that isn't the way this machine is put together. There is no flame spreader over the oven back burner. And there is no way to get to the hex headed screws on the ignitor. It looks like I could if I could remove the oven burner tube. However, they have designed this machine in a way that it is impossible to get to those screws as well. It looks like I could possibly get to them if I took out the metal pans below the burner tube. Any ideas?

This is a design nightmare. To make such a simple and common repair so difficult must have been intentional.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,617 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

Can you make a video and upload it to youtube so we can see what you're dealing with?

#6 PebbleInHand

PebbleInHand

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

I haven't made a video but here are two photos that show the problem. The hex nut screws are on the underside of the ignitor and burner tube and I can't get a ratchet on them. It appears that if I could remove the two hex nut screws holding the burner tube assembly to the back wall of the oven I could remove it to give me access to the ignitor screws. However, I also can't get a ratchet on those from above or below.

http://onemadson.com/?page_id=72

Also, this would be easier if I could get the door off. How does one go about doing that? Thanks.

#7 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Ya gots plenty of room, git yer self an 1/4 open end/ box wrench and start wrenchen.........To remove the door , If I remembers cerrectly, remove the phillips head screws, X2, on the door ( in line with the hinge ) and lift up...........OR, remove the whole burner tube as an assembly, remove the two fasteners from underneath and one from the front................ I's like them thar purty pictures, nice and clear.....

#8 PebbleInHand

PebbleInHand

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for the tip. I got the door off and got to wrenchen and eventually got it. I'm waiting on the delivery from repairclinic.com which was supposed to be overnight but I don't have the part yet. I'm assuming I use wirecutters to cut the wires and then connect the new and old wires with the wire nuts. My question is where should the wire nuts be? Where I can see them if I'm looking into the oven in its current state or should they connect underneath?

thanks.

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,617 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

The ignitor will come with ceramic wire nuts. You want the connections to be down below the burner base pan. So keep that in mind when you start snipping wires so you don't make a boo-boo and cut 'em too short.

#10 PebbleInHand

PebbleInHand

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

It appears to have worked. Thanks again for all the help.

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,617 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

Nice work! Now it's Bud Light time! :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics