Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag dishwasher-not washing, now leaking.....? MDB5600AWS

maytag dishwasher leaking not washing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brooke Falconer

Brooke Falconer

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heif

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:09 PM

Maytag MDB5600AWS
Went to a friends house to 'help out' (which always leads to disaster it seems) because dishwasher was making bad noises and not washing. I run it and hear an bad motor noise-like the motor was trying to run but not moving, I start to take things apart to see if something is jamming the motor shaft. There was pistachio pits, toothpicks, a shrimp shell, and a pop can tab in there!! So once I remove those things, motor shaft seems to be turning-so we put it all together (after about three tries because of the chatty chat that was going on I kept having to put together and take apart due to carelessness! arrggg, I hate working at friends houses!)
So I run a rinse and now I can hear the motor, it sounds better, but I hear no water slooshing around. I open the door and jimmy the door switch and sure enough-there is no water pressure through the spray arms, and now I see a slow leak coming down around the motor!! (seriously did I just screw a screw through the plastic while my friend was telling me about the crazy party on Fri night????GASP!!!)
So I think for a minute.....take everything apart again and realize that this plastic piece that screws onto the motor shaft, that sits right against a rubber seal is not screwed on tight, but is stripped. At least I think it should screw on, but this one just pops on and off. The chopper blade sits right on top of this plastic piece for point of reference, then the filter flow plate goes over it then the water impeller (disk thing) screws into the top of the plastic piece.
So my question is this-can I just buy this plastic piece, or do I need an entire motor assembly and where? why? did it leak after this happened? Does this plastic piece NEED to be screwed on tight to prevent leaking?
http://www.reliablep...menlarge/95098/
On this diagram, it looks like it comes as one piece, but off to the side there is the number 16-and this is what the piece looks like, but in the description it says that is for the drain pump, NOT the motor???
Little help appreciated!!! Thanks Guys!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

I don't know where they got that parts diagram...
pagesfromrepairpartlist.jpg
http://www.repaircli...tDetail/1469683

Seal-Kit-6-919539--00770313.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Brooke Falconer

Brooke Falconer

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

That's great, thanks! So if that plastic piece on the motor shaft-if it gets stripped, or loose, can that rubber seal leak??
I am still harboring fears of leaks, seriously I took that thing apart and put back together 3 times because I was too busy chatting to pay attention to the order of things! Now I have secret fears I seriously wrecked things!
***Note to self*** Self, never catch up on gossip while taking apart a machine you have never taken apart before :thumbsup:

#4 Brooke Falconer

Brooke Falconer

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

Looked at our Reliable Appliance Parts up here, $63 for the kit. Slays me how much difference the price is from USA to Canada. Frustrating!!!!

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

Slays me how much difference the price is from USA to Canada. Frustrating!!!!

That's gonna change soon-- working on a solution to get parts to Canadians through this site. Not at liberty to discuss details now but just know that it's coming soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics