Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Help my Jenn-Air side by side defrost sytem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 racerxport

racerxport

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

We have a Jenn air side by side that is about 12 years old. While I'm not crazy about it I can't afford a new one just yet. I have this recurring problem with the evaporator coil getting caked with ice. I have to get out the hair dryer and defrost it. The first time it happened it lasted about 3 weeks before I had to do it again. Now it seems with the warm weather I have to defrost it like every 5 days or so. I've had to do this about 6 or 7 times over the last couple months and getting tired of it. How do I troubleshoot the defrost system. Thanks for any help. Doug

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

We need the model number to help you troubleshoot and fix this unit. Model number location help here ==> http://www.repaircli...My-Model-Number

Most Jenn-Air refrigerators have an Adaptive Defrost Control (ADC) in the control console at the top of the fresh food compartment that controls when the refrigerator goes into defrost. A common failure is for the ADC board to never start the defrost cycle. The fix is to replace the ADC board ==> http://www.repaircli...61005988/948430

Posted Image

#3 racerxport

racerxport

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

OK well I found the model number inside the unit it is: JCD2289AES

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

Yep, yours has the ADC board I linked to in my previous post.

You can test it by cycling the Freezer Cold Control 3x within 6 seconds and leaving it on MAX and listening or feeling for the defrost heater hearing up.

Or just go ahead and replace the ADC board, it's such a common problem that it's very likely that will fix it; if it doesn't, return it for a refund! ==> http://www.repaircli...61005988/948430

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

... JCD2289AES

... You can test it by cycling the Freezer Cold Control 3x within 6 seconds and leaving it on MAX

If original (early model) ADC before "G"
then "early" forced Defrost method:
Momentarily short L1 to TEST pins on ADC.
The "newer" ADC (same part number) are re-designed and work better than the "early" units (which were prone to fail)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics