Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

frost build up and ice melting into solid pieces in ice maker

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 4helenschild

4helenschild

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:vodka

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

I've had two technicians take a look at my GE GSH25JFTABB side by side refrigerator.It initially started out making only crushed ice and had frost build up. They replaced the solenoid on the icemaker and said nothing else was wrong with it. They came back to install the solenoid, then when the frost still did not go away I replaced the ice door assembly solenoid and the flap that goes with it. Neither of them has solved the problem. Both technicians said the gaskets on the door were fine and the heater was not a problem but it is still icing up. They used a computer and said everything was fine. I have read that it could be that the water could be frozen in defrost condensate drain. I am not sure how to get to that and what to do with that. Any answers? Right now I am already a couple of hundred dollars into this and now since the technicians said I could use this for ice and the ice kept refreezing into a chunk, it now sounds like the ice auger is grinding out and making noises and it is going bad. We had to keep stopping and emptying out the ice tray from solid chunks of ice and quit using it all together. I am frustrated and angry now because the auger was fine before. HELP! Thank you to anyone who can help me!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

... the frost still did not go away ... it is still icing up.

pictures ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,805 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:27 AM

Just to make sure I understand, you already replaced the following parts:

Dispenser flap ==> http://www.repaircli...ber=GSH25JFTABB

Dispenser solenoid ==> http://www.repaircli...ber=GSH25JFTABB

Or was it the water inlet valve for the ice maker ==> http://www.repaircli...ber=GSH25JFTABB

If the latter, I'm not sure what that would have to do with the frost problem. Guess it depends on where the frost is. Post photos as GMF Reg suggested or a video to YouTube.

#4 4helenschild

4helenschild

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

They replaced the solenoid that makes the ice and yes I replaced the dispenser flap and the dispenser solenoid. Last night I took the food out of the freezer and the plastic back out of it and I defrosted the ice of of the back coils with my hair dryer. This morning for the first time there is no frost in the freezer nor surrounding the ice chute. Whether this is a long term fix, I don't know. I read something about wrapping copper around the bottom to keep things warmed up. Is this something I should consider? I have also read that GE has a history of circuit board problems involving the cycling of heat going on in this area and that some people have had to do this even a couple of times a week. This is the first time I have done this since replacing the dispenser solenoid and flapper. Is it possible that replacing those would keep this from happening again? Sorry for all the questions! I have been trying to solve this for about 5 weeks and I am just a hairstylist willing to dig into a problem that repair technicians kept staring blankly at me about. Telling me I have a "naughty" refrigerator infuriates me. Big, Big thanks to you for responding, and so far I can't post a pic because I was up at 11:30 PM blow drying my fridge. :)

#5 reelynyceguy

reelynyceguy

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Good coffee

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

It's hard to get a handle on what's going on without seeing the problem up close, but when you said you're getting big chunks of ice in the ice bucket, I wonder if the fridge water valve is leaking, letting water slowly overfill your ice maker and spill over into the bucket, then freezing into chunks. Excess water would also be blown around by your evaporator fan and cause frost build-up in some nasty places. Do you see a frozen column of water on the ice maker sides?
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

#6 4helenschild

4helenschild

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

No, I am not getting that. The chunks of ice are from the ice melting together from the temperature not staying cool. So far. after defrosting the coils with hairdryer, the frost hasn't returned YET and the ice appears to be staying separate, but the ice maker does sound louder, like the motor is wearing out. The ice maker solenoid WAS replaced and it sounded fine until it had to deal with those chunks of ice that were not resolved even though the appliance techs said everything was fine. We turned it off until we had regular ice again, but I am wondering if the damage is done and if I need to contact the company who did the job because I never would have used it without them telling me it was a go. I am still wondering how long this "FIX" will hold or if it is temporary.Also, what is the cause of the loud sound now coming from the ice maker? It dispenses but not without a lot of noise. Thanks again! :)

#7 4helenschild

4helenschild

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:31 PM

Actually, a few hours later, I see frost already starting to rebuild. It's been 24 hours and the ice is starting to stick together. Very discouraged. Defrosting the coils did nothing. It must be the circuit board and the timer for the defrost heater. . . I think that is what it is called.

#8 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness Stout

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:24 AM

4helenschild,

You need to test your defrost heater before replacing it, let alone the muthaboard. Use this handy-dandy page (http://fixitnow.com/...e-refrigerator/) to test your defrost system. Please DO post pictures so we can help you as best we can.
Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
Owner-Operator, Smith's Appliance Service
701 Baldwin Falls Road
Baldwin, Georgia 30511-2108
706-778-3411

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics