Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchenaid KUDS01FL553 top shelf not cleaning

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 raeben

raeben

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:red wine

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

Dear Samurai and apprentices,

Our dishwasher top shelf is not cleaning.

My husband, son and I (in order of time committed) have taken apart the machine, cleaned the filters, examined the impellers (they looked ok, so we did not replace) and replaced the macerator.

Machine is getting enough water and is filling on the bottom to the heat coil, but not getting any water on the top shelf.

There are no funny noises. There were before we cleaned and replaced the macerator, but now the machine is quiet (too quiet). The motor is running. My husband is reluctant to replace the pump assembly because that might not be problem. But we have taken it apart 3 times and cleaned it. He is inclined to think the macerator (which we replaced with new) is either not engaging properly or is defective. There was significant debris on the macerator screen last time we took it apart and cleaned it and it did not appear to be engaged properly. We thought we got it in properly this time with the help of a pair of chopsticks.

$187 (approx.) is a lot to spend on pump assembly if that's NOT the problem. The macerator is tricky to install, with that spring and all, maybe he's right and it's still not aligned and engaged with the pump? The macerator was able to be turned after we installed it but maybe something is wrong and it's slipped and disengaging?

He also thinks pump motors either work or don't (and usually make a lot of noise when they don't) and that there must be a clog somewhere in the system.

At this point, I'm ready to give up and join the Amish -- just wash the dishes by hand. With all this discussion, time and energy we could have just washed dishes a few dozen times at least.

If you can shed light on the situation perhaps we could avoid such a drastic measure and continue to live in the style to which we have become accustomed.

Thanks for your patience and looking forward to your advice.

Edited by raeben, 26 June 2012 - 11:42 AM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,813 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

If the water fill level is correct-- just below the heating element after the fill is complete-- then you have a bad motor pump assembly, slam dunk. Here's the part link, comes with a 365-day return policy ==> http://www.repaircli...0239405/1548519

And here's the Samurai Method™ for replacing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiLlLZNBxJ8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics