Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

THERODMAN

Maytag Neptune Gas Dryer MDG4000BWW ignites and burns for 30 seconds only

39 posts in this topic

I still have the front off of the unit.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... I still have the front off of the unit.

:nono: Cabinet needs to be fully assembled form correct air-flow / temperatures

It was still off for viewing the ignitor and whether or not it was glowing. Before i took the front cover off is when the 'gas smell' issue occurred and the dryer was completely cold, no heat. :burnin:

Dont worry about the blower. Run the dryer with the vent off the back for at least 20-30 mins. Observe the entire time. Report back

Honestly, I think you have venting issues with the ceiling run of your vent. You need to make sure it's completely clean. I also think you need coils. Or your gas valve is failing and you never noticed it before.

We need to eliminate the vent variable to proceed though.

Edited by RussTech

Dear RussTech,

Should I have the front cover on or off while I am observing?

Why don't you try both. You can hear the coils opening and closing. You'll hear the burner when it does ignite properly.

Yes It was a bit loose. it jiggled a little.

Regardless of other potential issues the blower wheel needs replacing.

Otherwise you are looking at gas valve coils and or ignitor.

As far as having the front off when testing.....

You can remove the door, then remove the front panel, then reinstall the door.

As long as you have the door reinstalled the air flow will be correct for observing flame and operations of burner.

Thanks to all for your expert insight.

The coils have been ordered and I will report back next week after I receive and install them.

Coils received, installed, and dryer appears to be running without issue.

Gracias to all who assisted me in troubleshooting the problem and giving the correct diagnosis.

Happy 4th holiday to all !!!!

3 people like this

Using search I found this thread today. I just changed the gas valve solenoids and no change. BTW my symptoms were exactly as the OP. The flame looks very full at first. The hot air blowing out of the grille inside the dryer feels super hot. It closes down after several seconds and repeats every interval similar to the OP. I didn't time it. The dryer has sat in this spot with this vent for about 13 years with no issues. The vent is blowing strongly out of the house. If it were a vent issue then why was it OK for 13 years then suddenly unacceptable? I have not yet tried it without a vent attached. Is there another component to change, there's some component right on the top of the burner chamber that must be some temp sensor.

BTW the vent method I have might be questionable to a professional but I have little choice and I have tried to optimize it:

It's that rectangular cross section periscope one. The cross section is about 2"X6" and has 4" round inlet and outlet. The hole in the house is directly behind the dryer but of course not in line with the dryer's outlet. The dryer must be that close to the wall because it's in a laundry closet of finite depth.

OK I tried it with no vent pipes attached and it's till doing the same thing.

1 person likes this

if it is relighting every time, look into the flame sensor

Thanks for the reply. 

Well it seems OK now. Weird because I didn't do anything. The flame lasts several minutes at a time now. The load is taking less time to dry, probably on par with what's expected.

1 person likes this