Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Help with correct capacitor size for home HVAC -- Lenox and Carrier

cninham

Can someone please help me verify the correct capacity for the motor run capacitor for two HVAC units that I have, please? I believe the AC service technician replaced BOTH units with the WRONG capacitor size.

AC Unit # 1

Lenox 10HPB42-11P

Capacitor – I believe this should be a 40+5 MFD capacitor

Service technician installed a 50+7.5 MFD capacitor

AC Unit # 2

Carrier

Prod: 38CKC048-371

Model: 38CKC048370 / 38CKC48370 / 38CK048370 (???)

Capacitor – I believe this should be a 40+5 MFD capacitor

Service technician installed a 40+3 MFD capacitor

Thank you,

Cameron

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cninham

• RegUS_PatOff

• jumptrout

• m_west5

Fan Motor Capacitor rating is dependent on actual Fan Motor installed.

Thank you for the reply -- in both cases the fan motor is the original motor and the AC unit is "standard" with nothing changed.

Any idea where I can get the capacitor information from, please?

Thanks -- Cameron

The fan motor will have the cap rating printed on it.

Thanks -- I got the fan motor capacity rating from the motor as suggested.

How do I get the compressor (HERM) capacitor rating?

Cameron

my research finds:

AC Unit # 1

Lennox 10HPB42-11P

80K48 40/5 440v

AC Unit # 2

Carrier

38CKC048370

P291-5054RS 50/5 440v

Thank you! Very much appreciated!

On the 2nd unit, the Carrier, Prod: 38CKC048-371, Model: 38CKC048370, I have received conflicting information. Some other forums have stated the capacitor to be:

45+5 MFD, 440 VAC

Would the discrepancy/difference between the two matter? Is it safer to go with the 45+5 or 50+5 MFD...?

Thanks -- Cameron

The 10% mentioned by Reg is good info.

The real important part is the 370vac/440vac capacitor.

Any system can run fine with a 440vac.

If a system specifies 440vac it will not run correctly on a 370vac.

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old posting, but may help someone else reading it.  It's a pain to do, but to be absolutely sure of the capacitance for the compressor, you could remove fan from top of condenser unit and look at the sticker on the compressor. Most Copeland scrolls (very common) and other mfg's have the cap rating on this sticker.

Hope this helps.