Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG Refrigarator Model # LMX25981ST Leaking Water around Frame of Water Dispenser

Water Leaking Water Dispenser

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 coolwater1956

coolwater1956

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hello again. You helped me tremendously in the past and now I'm back again with another appliance problem. This time its my LG Model LMX25981ST Refrigarator. Its started leaking around the frame of the water dispenser. By that I mean the stainless steel frame that surrounds and houses the entire Ice and water dispensing unit. Water is leaking at the bottom of the frame so I turned off the ice maker and shut the water off to the fridge till I get this sorted out I've searched the internet looking for the same type problem as mine with the same model but have come up short.

I should mention two things.

1. The fridge is 4 years old bought in Aug 2008.
2. The has been a persietent knocking or rapping knock that seems to be around 6-7 knocks in rapid sequence every so often thats been going on for at least 1 year. The knocking appears to come from the dispenser area but I'm never actually very close by when it happens so its more an educated guess on my part.

Other the the leak and the knocking its running OK.

So, any possible ideas on the cause and potential solutions that either I can do as a DIY'er or needing a tech would be much appreciated again.

Hoping its as simple as a frozen or plugged drain line, something I'll look in to soon as I download the schematics and find out where that thing is if it exists..

Again thanks for your help with me and everyone else, you folks are a tremendous resource that is a godsend for all us regular folk..

Tip of the hat. :thanks:

Bruce

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 reelynyceguy

reelynyceguy

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:47 AM

I recently repaired this model with a similar problem. Turns out one of the water lines behind the dispenser was cracked, causing a leak. I've seen the water valve also leak, but that is buried behind the door in the trap door underneath the last door shelf. Water leaks from that area puddles on top of the freezer drawer.
To access the dispenser tubing, remove the ice chute, then pull the dispenser housing from the right side until it breaks free from the restraining tabs. You can then remove the housing and start exploring. (Sorry I don't have a link for dissassembly...)
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

#3 coolwater1956

coolwater1956

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

Thanks very much for the info. I called LG and received the Service Manual in PDF format so I can better understand the disassembly steps. Unfortunately, the service manual isn't very clear on how to remove the dispenser housing. So I'm guessing I should put on some rubber gloves so I don't slip off the housing and begin pulling towards me. Of course this is after I remove the ice chute or "cover dispenser"

You mention pulling the housing from the right side until it breaks free of the restraining tabs. Will these tabs be resused and the housing will snap back into place during re-assembly? And any chance you can describe the simple procedure to repair the cracked tubing (if thats the problem) such as splicing or replacing new tubing or something else.

Also any thoughts on the knocking?

Thanks agian
Bruce in WA.

#4 coolwater1956

coolwater1956

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

When I said "Of course this is after I remove the ice chute or "cover dispenser" I really meant "Funnel". not "cover dispenser"

Thanks again..

#5 reelynyceguy

reelynyceguy

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:34 AM

The housing will snap back into place, no worries. Unfortunately, if the tubing is cracked, split or broken, it's not replaceable unless you replace the whole door per LG. (As of 6 months ago...things could've changed by now). So you may have to do some splicing. I'm hoping it's something simple for your sake!

The knocking sounds like the ice maker cycling. There's a test button underneath the IM motor you can hold down until it starts to cycle, then watch it go through the motions. Could be the feeler arm rapping, or the twisting tray catching on something...
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

#6 coolwater1956

coolwater1956

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Hi reelynyceguy,

I followed your guidance and was able to easily remove clear plastic funnel thats attached to the ice chute. I then removed the Dispenser housing which came off without a hitch. I carefully inspected what I could see for any signs of cracks ect. Didn't see anything. I then removed the access panel located on the inside of the same door just below the single shelf that is right below the ice maker. One single screw and I was able to inspect the tubing and man there must have been at least 20-30 feet of tubing all coiled up sitting on a shelf which is good news in case I ever need some. Also inspected the water valve all the while I had the water turned back on. After filing up a bucket of water I returned to re-inspect the areas and never saw any water leaks anywhere.

So I re-assembled everything and kept the water on for 24 hours keeping an eye on any leaks that may form around the dispenser housing or on top of the freezer.

Now, I also took out the ice bin several days ago and emptied it and really didn't think anything about the condition of the ice inside. Well after discovering no leaks I began to think about those ice cubes again. and then it hit me. When I emptied the bin I noticed that the ice appeared to have melted and refroze clumped together but didn't think much of it until I came home from work last night entered the house and heard the refrig alarm beeping that the door was ajar, something that my daughter probably did. So, I think all along the problem was that she didn't close the the door properly, it remained open for an extended period, the ice melted and leaked behind the area making its way out at the bottom of the dispenser housing unit causing me all the grief. Kids, what are ya gonna do..

So, with Ice Maker on and water flowing for the past 24 hours I see no leaks anywhere. Woohoo, problem solved

I want to sincerely thank you for your time in assisting me and giving me the guidance and knowledge to troubleshoot the issue. You and all the other alppliance guru's here are awesome folks and selflessly give your time and expertise to help those of us in the dark with problems and finding resolutions saving us big bucks...

I wish you all the best cause you deserve it and Hope you and your family have a great 4th of July holiday.

I'll make sure to hoist a few beers in your honor.

Thanks again

Bruce

#7 reelynyceguy

reelynyceguy

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

Glad you solved the problem, Bruce. Best wishes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics