Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Running refrigerator and box freezer on a small generator

generator yamaha

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mada

mada

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

I live on a small island and we loose power here and there. Kind of a hassle as I have a big family and there's usually a lot of food in the fridge/freezer.

I Just bought a small yamaha EF2000iS (2,000 Watt) Generator and I have a few questions:

I have a GE Monogram fridge (model #ZISS420NRESS), can I run that off this generator?

I also have a small box freezer that I'd also like to run (ge compact chest freezer 7) Think this little yamaha generator can run both along with a small light or two?

I was also told that i can't use an extension cord with a fridge running on a generator, but not sure if that's accurate and don't think it is... but looking to see if anyone has any info on that

Any help appreciated!

Edited by mada, 01 July 2012 - 12:27 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

I don't think that generator will work.
The start-up requirements for a Fridge is huge ..
How long is the power OFF, before it comes back ON ?
A few hours should be no problem.. if the Doors aren't opened very long.
You could ask the other residents on that island that are in the same boat :whistling:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

That generator is on the small side by about 2000 watts..........before you bought the generator, did you add up all the watts needed to start the refrigerator and freezer and a light bulb or two????................ Depending on the current draw of the units, about 15 to 17 amps. each, for a second or two, the generator will struggle to start the compressor(s)....The compressor will start, but it will do damage to the start windings.....( The next problem will be " the food is warming up" = failed compressor.).......If by chance both refer and freezer start at the same time, the current draw could be as high as 30+ amps ( 3600+ watts ) .................... A 5000 watt generator is a decent size to have, plug in one of the units first and then the other.....To test this theory of an under sized generator, start the generator, plug in your ' a light or two', plug in the refer and the freezer at the same time......did the lights dim much????..................... I myself am looking for a generator to purchase....(Propane for long term fuel storage )............ got a well ( 240volts )..one refer .....one freezer...... one sewage pump.........The refer and freezer will stay plugged in but I will plug in and unplug the well pump and the sewage pump as needed..........5000 to 6000 watts will give enough juice....Plus, just in case the neighbor lady needs a light or two... Extension cords can be used, they just need to be rated correctly.... keep the Generator outside, a 12 ga cord for up to 20 to 30 feet, use two out lets on the generator, one outlet for each unit.................. READ your manual............DO not plug your generator into the breaker panel.....Use a switching system, manual or automatic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics