Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
p888p888

Maytag Refrigerator MFD2561HES -- relay rattles, compressor is hot but quiet

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

Please help diagnose the sudden failure of my Maytag model# MFD2561HES (French-door style fridge).

Following the flowchart here:

• The top refrigerator compartment and bottom freezer compartment are both warm.
  • The condenser fan is running strong.
  • The condenser area was very dirty, but I vacuumed it.
  • The compressor is super HOT but not making any noise.
  • I took off the Compressor Start Relay and shook it, and it rattled a lot.

So I am pretty sure the Relay is fried. But does it sound like the Compressor is still OK? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

PS: Should I keep the fridge plugged in or unplugged until the part(s) arrive for repair? Or does it matter?

Unplug the refrigerator to avoid all the failed start stress in the compressor and buy this new start device ==> http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Device/67005560/1159182?modelNumber=MFD2561HES

Most of the time, the compressor survives this event if it doesnt go on too long. If it turns out the compressor is bad, you can return the start device for a refund.

Thanks!!!