Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

How Assuming Made an Ass-a-me

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 reelynyceguy

reelynyceguy

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:15 AM

I'm embarassed to tell you this, but maybe it'll serve as a head's up to someone else.
Customer bought a brand new Kenmore in-wall A/C. Big and heavy, he had it mounted in a pre-existing case at floor level, plugged into an outlet beneath it. The symptom was when turned on, the blower would start, but as soon as the compressor tried to start the display would flash "8's", then shut down. This pattern would keep repeating itself. He had new trim installed around the A/C , so I couldn't remove the unit from the wall without first removing the trim. He proceeds to holler and yell how expensive the trim was. Was I going to pay to have it removed? On and on. Yell and yell. I told him to remove it and I'd return.
I come back that night and he's like old friends. 'Course he has company standing around to impress. Even had the unit resting on a blanket on the floor. I tear into it. After an hour of head-scratching and trying to make sense of weird voltages to the compressor, I figure it must be a bad control board. Ordered up said board. Another tech arrives few days later to install board. Same symptoms. He calls a Tech support line who advised him to order display board. I return few days later, installed display board. Still flashing 8's.
I take another voltage reading at the compressor and THIS time find 120v to EACH of the compressor contacts. A light slowly begins to dawn.
I check his house recept and find 220 Volts wired to a 120volt outlet!
When I informed the guy why his A/C, a 120v unit wouldn't run on twice the voltage, HE LOOKED AT ME LIKE I HAD TWO HEADS AND TOLD ME IT'S OUR FAULT WE NEVER TOLD HIM HE HAD A 120V UNIT AFTER FIRST TELLING ME HE DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS 220V AT THAT PLUG!

From now on, I NEVER assume the customer knows the first thing about hooking up an appliance, but check voltage and polarity right off the bat.

By the way, the customer refused to pay for any of the parts and labor.
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:44 AM

Good story.
BUT, Remember rule #1 of appliance repair: VERIFY VOLTAGE FIRST.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

Brethren, let us open our Appliantology Hymnals to the page 101, The Prophecy, wherein it is written, "Never, ever trust customer diagnostics." You have to start troubleshooting from square one and it begins with verifying a valid power supply before going inside the box, as Brother jumptrout mentioned.

Can I hear an, "Amen?"

#4 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Amen brother Ben!. I think we've all been in that spot before. Happened to me a few years ago on a dishwasher getting 240 volts. More voltage doesn't mean better cleaning power. :woot:

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:57 AM

It doesn't? I thought more of anything was better!!!!!!
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

That only pertains to sex and booze. :devil:

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

And coffee!
Scott Wolf

#8 Nick@AegisAppliance

Nick@AegisAppliance

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Blue Moon

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

AMEN! Hahaha! Oh, I've been there before, one of the few instances where the first time was the charm!

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me 237 times, shame on me. :whistling:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#10 megadan66

megadan66

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

Anymore I tell customers who argue with me. To find another Tech. And I hang up or walk out. Stupid peoples money just isnt worth the headaches they cause me anymore.
Dan The Appliance Man

#11 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:39 AM

Remember rule #1 of appliance repair: VERIFY VOLTAGE FIRST.

Open neutrals get me once in awhile, takes me a minute to figure out why I have power when I measure voltage to ground (as I forget to verify the neutral)...
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics