Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Inner basket stuck on drive block

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jimh64

Jimh64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Yuengling Light

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

I have a kenmore 110.20992991 Washing Machine. I have removed the spanner nut, but for the life of me I cannot get the inner basket out!. I have tried pushing down on the tub and pulling. When I lift up on the tub I can see it coming up on the shaft about 1/2", but then it stops and sounds like it is hitting metal.

Is there something else I need to remove?

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Work it back and forth, to and fro. I have had to stand inside of the tub to get them to break free before. Helps having a strong teenage son with a good back, too. :dude:

#3 Jimh64

Jimh64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Work it back and forth, to and fro. I have had to stand inside of the tub to get them to break free before. Helps having a strong teenage son with a good back, too. :dude:

I have to teenage son to help! but, should it lift up a hair and then sound like it is hiting something? If you stand in the tub, how do you pull it up, or does pushing down help release it?

Thanks!

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

Standing in the tub is just a way of breaking up the rust and gookus that are holding it in place. Post a photo of where you're at with this so we're sure we're on the same page.

#5 Jimh64

Jimh64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

Standing in the tub is just a way of breaking up the rust and gookus that are holding it in place. Post a photo of where you're at with this so we're sure we're on the same page.

I will tonight! Thanks for the help!

#6 Nick@AegisAppliance

Nick@AegisAppliance

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Blue Moon

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

I've come across this issue a few times in the past. What worked for me was lightly tapping the top of the drive block with the one end of my spanner wrench. The vibes helped break up all the rust and buildup! I hope this helps. Good luck!

#7 Jimh64

Jimh64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. As requested, I have attached 2 pictures. Hopefully that will help.

I tried to remove it again tonight, but it feels like I am ripping the guts out of the bottom of the machine trying to pull this off.

It looks all oily, because I sprayed some wd-40 to try and loosen things up.

Again, thanks for the help!

Attached File  Washer 1.jpg   96.65KB   22 downloads

Attached File  Washer 2.jpg   94.01KB   12 downloads

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:30 AM

Well, like Chief Vogle used to tell us back in the Navy flight deck, "Listen up, shipmate, this kind only only comes out with spit and determination." You could try heating the neck area with a propane torch, tapping up on the drive block, get creative. Like the demons that infest my bowels after a hard night of drinking JD and Bud Lite, it WILL come out albeit with much pain and cursing.

#9 Skiter29

Skiter29

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

ive done sometimes put it into spin let it get to top speed them stop it sometimes it will break loose

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Great tip, Skiter!

#11 Jimh64

Jimh64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

ok, thanks! I will try the torch and see what happens. It is not moving on the block at all, the block slides up a hair and then you can tell it hits something.

I cannot put it into a high spin, becuase it pretty much quit spinning. I had a very loud squeel during the begining of the spin ccyl (it sounded like a bearing going bad) that lasted for a couple weeks and then it just quit squeeling and spinning, which prompted me into tearing into this to see what is broke.

I hope the heat works! The laundry is piling up!

Thanks!!

#12 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

Also try a penetrating oil instead of WD-40. WD- 40 is more for water displacement and rust prevention. It does have lubricating ability but you need a more specified product.

#13 Jimh64

Jimh64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

Should I disconnect the motor underneath?

#14 Jimh64

Jimh64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

The drive block and the tub just keep sliding up on the shaft about 1/2 inch and then it hits something. sounds like metal, like there is a clip or something holding it in.

I have tried heating it up and beating on it. When we try and pull up on the tub, it just pulls everything up, so we can't reall get any leverage.

Any other suggestions, or did i forget to remove anything?

#15 Jimh64

Jimh64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

Sorry,for so many updates, but I FINALLY got it out!!!

Now, with the basket out, when I out it in SPIN CCYL, it does not squeel anymore. I knocked the drive block out of the basket and cleaned out all the crap, but I don't see where the bearing is??

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

Nice work, I knowed you could do it!

See if this diagram hepsya some mo'

Posted Image

#17 Jimh64

Jimh64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the help, but now I have another problem!, when I took the clutch out, the clip that hold that plastic thing onto the drive tube had fallen off into the clutch and got jammed which was causing my squealing I think.

The problem is that some how the drive tube is worn down, because the clip just barely goes onto the post. less than an 1/8 inch between the clip and the bottom of the shaft, which is why the clip came off.

How in the world wold that shaft have worn down? After all the sweat in getting that inner basket out, I don't want to give up, but the washer is 15 years old.

Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics