Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Help! My central air unit isn't working properly.

central air unit not working fan outside not running

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shannon_1217

shannon_1217

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Milwaukee's Best Lite (don't laugh)

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hello! We were hit with pretty bad storms last Friday and didn't have power until this morning. I turned on our central air unit about 10 minutes after and it everything ran; however, the outside unit was making a squeeling noise. The fan was turning and cold air was coming from the vents so I ignored it thinking maybe it was water from the storm or something. About 5 minutes later, the outside unit starting really screeching and the fan had stopped moving. I panicked and ran to the thermostat to turn it off. I went to the basement to make sure nothing was tripped but I flipped everything on and off just to be sure. I waited a few minutes and turned it back on. It ran fine but with a squealy noise and then about 5 minutes into it, the fan outside stopped moving again and really started screeching. I turned it off but not sure what to do now. Any suggestions? The temps are really creeping up. Thank you!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 tommytech

tommytech

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:guiness

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

sounds like you need a new condenser fan motor w/ capacitor

#3 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

Tommytech nailed this one on the head.

#4 Bullstok

Bullstok

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Mt. Dew

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

i've seen people in dire need put a lawn sprinkler aimed onto the condenser to get by for a short term whilst waiting for a motor. the condenser fan would need unhooked to avoid burning/screeching obviously. its a hillbilly geothermal heat pump conversion :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics