LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Help! My central air unit isn't working properly.

shannon_1217

shannon_1217

Hello! We were hit with pretty bad storms last Friday and didn't have power until this morning. I turned on our central air unit about 10 minutes after and it everything ran; however, the outside unit was making a squeeling noise. The fan was turning and cold air was coming from the vents so I ignored it thinking maybe it was water from the storm or something. About 5 minutes later, the outside unit starting really screeching and the fan had stopped moving. I panicked and ran to the thermostat to turn it off. I went to the basement to make sure nothing was tripped but I flipped everything on and off just to be sure. I waited a few minutes and turned it back on. It ran fine but with a squealy noise and then about 5 minutes into it, the fan outside stopped moving again and really started screeching. I turned it off but not sure what to do now. Any suggestions? The temps are really creeping up. Thank you!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bullstok

• jumptrout

• tommytech

• shannon_1217

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i've seen people in dire need put a lawn sprinkler aimed onto the condenser to get by for a short term whilst waiting for a motor. the condenser fan would need unhooked to avoid burning/screeching obviously. its a hillbilly geothermal heat pump conversion :)