Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool modular ice maker thermal fuse on black wire in harness

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 skintdigit

skintdigit

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

What makes 'em fry?

Yes, I know.....heat. But why does the mold get hot enough to open the fuse? Could leaving the IM on with water supply shut off do this? Or does it usually point to a problem with the module?

SD

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

It's a good question. My theory is that it has to do with a corroded/loose connection inside the module or at the wire harness connector. Loose connections make heat but also increase current draw an the fuse may open in response to that. Would be interested if anyone else has any thoughts.

#3 skintdigit

skintdigit

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

Happy Fourth of July!

Looking at the wiring and timing contacts...what would happen if the motor gave up the ghost shortly after a harvest cycle started? Would the mold heater element then remain energized until something happened to interrupt current to the IM(owner turns off the unit or mold gets hot enough to open the thermal fuse)?

SD

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

... mold gets hot enough to open the thermal fuse

yes
http://appliantology...dular-icemaker/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:23 AM

yes
http://appliantology...dular-icemaker/

Makes sense that this fuse is designed to blow if heater is stuck on during a stalled cycle. Excerpt from above manual:

The thermo-fuse is spliced into the black wire of the
ice maker wiring harness. It is a 170° F non-resettable
fuse. A no ice complaint could be caused by excessive
heat. Replacing only the wiring harness will only
temporarily solve the complaint. The ice maker
thermostat should also be replaced.
NOTE' Currently wiring diagrams do not show the
thermo-fuse.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

A bad IceMaker can cause it to stop or jam.

#7 skintdigit

skintdigit

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

Thanks, folks.

New icemaker installed, jumpered T to H to initiate harvest. Removed jumper wire after about 10 seconds of motor run and the IM continues to complete cycle. Only problem....no water at end of cycle. Checked voltage both at fill valve(between brown wire and ground) and at IM test ports between V and N. Voltage during 7 second fill time is only 6 volts both places. I have 120 to IM.

Ideas?

SD

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

check for Water Valve shorted ?
then check voltages:
L to N
H to N
T to N

Posted Image

#9 skintdigit

skintdigit

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

Belated thanks, RegUS. I finally got back to looking into the icemaker no-fill problem. I knew the old IM was fried...no continuity at the thermal fuse on the black wire(toasted thermal fuse) and direct wire jumpering the drive motor after opening up the module showed that it was also fubar. OK, so the drive motor quit and caused the mold heater to remain energized for a period of time until the mold got hot enough to open the thermal fuse. Made sense to me...new icemaker should solve the problem, right?

Not so fast, bunky.

When I installed the new IM and started a harvest cycle all was good, but no water fill at the end of the cycle. :confused:

Resolution is that the solenoid was shorted on the water valve. Resistance of coil is 3 paltry ohms, resistance of neighboring water-in-the door coil is 269 ohms, and I know that one is functional. Verified by attaching IM connector to the door water solenoid and running a harvest cycle. Sure enough, water flowed from the door water dispenser for 7 seconds, give or take.

Revised theory....water valve coil gave up the ghost, which caused the old IM to cycle almost continuouslyI(no water in it to slow the cooling of the mold and the closing of the thermostat). Eventually the drive motor quit and then the mold overheated and cooked the thermal fuse.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :moondance:

SD

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,082 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:09 AM

Going to put your theory to the test. Two ice maker thermal fuses blew while harvester in the 12 o'clock position. If the water valve is bad, then you may be on to something... continual cycling since the thermostat never warms..... interesting.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#11 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

A shorted mold heater will interfere with voltage supplied to the inlet valve solenoid and if the heater shorts to the point that it blows the thermal fuse in the harness it can take out the valve as well.  Most common cause of a shorted heater is a leak through the Teflon coating of the mold.  I recall the older GE heat release icemakers that produced the round cubes.  That icemaker did not have a thermal fuse so when the ejector got jammed during harvest (usually due to a bad shaft seal), the mold heater stayed on, damaging the freezer liner.

#12 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

If you left the jumper in for ten seconds you left it in too long and it will not fill with water. You should only leave it in until you hear a faint 'click', then remove it, about 3 or 4 seconds. If you leave it I longer it will not fill with water because the module thinks the bimetal is still closed. If you installed a new IceMaker it's not going to have a short or any of the same problems that the old one may have had internally. I think you just left the jumper in too long. Try it again.

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

"Occam's RAZOR 'the simplest answer is most often correct'"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics