Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 106.52552100 SxS fridge. Works, ice flow in bottom of freezer

ice freezer kenmore refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 snapperon

snapperon

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

I have a Kenmore SxS that works great. Stays at correct temp in both fridge and freezer...........but, every now and then there will be a flow of water on the floor (may 10-20 ounces) and the newest trick is that there is an ice sheet that has formed on the bottom of the freezer. Thaw the glacier, remove, button it back up, and within days, it's back. Again, all works so its more the annoyance factor than anything else. As you can see from the attached picture, this is thick,solid ice not the fluffy evap ice coating.

What and where should I start checking? Is there a flow chart? Any tips would help. Again, works great, just quite annoying and eventually interferes with getting the freezer door totally closed.

Thanks,
Snapperon

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

may be a clogged Defrost Dsain Tube

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 snapperon

snapperon

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

where is this drain tube? ho

Sorry, how do I get to it? Where do I find a drawing/

#4 reelynyceguy

reelynyceguy

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:09 AM

Take all the shelves and baskets out of the freezer. Take a thin blade putty knife, get under the ice sheet and toss it in the sink. Remove the back panel of the freezer to expose the evaporator coil. You'll see a trough underneath the coil to catch water when the unit defrosts. It'll be covered with a layer of ice at this point. I use a household steamer to melt that ice, but you can also try hot air from a blow dryer or hot water through a squirt bottle. Eventually you'll see the drain hole exposed. That hole is prob'ly also clogged with ice, so you'll have to jet some hot water into it until to hear the water splashing into the condensate pan under the fridge. If you don't hear anything, or if the water backs up, you'll have to remove the back cardboard panel covering the compressor, find the drain tube and make sure the rubber grommet on the end of the tube is not gummed shut. It just pulls off the tube, so you can clean it up and reinstall it. You can buy a heat probe made to keep the drain from icing over again, or take a bare strand of #12 or #14 solid copper wire, about 6" long, and wrap a few turns around the heater rod just above the drain hole. Stick the remainder of the wire into the hole. This will transfer heat from the heater into the hole during defrost and keep the drain open in the future. Clean up the excess water, button up and you're golden.
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

#5 snapperon

snapperon

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

Didin't see a smoking gun, but did blow out all the drains with compressed air. Fridge is in garage, so I can get away with that. Didn't see anything, but was able to verify it's open. It's back on, wish me luck!

#6 snapperon

snapperon

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

Now 4 days post-cleaning of the drain tube.......no ice flows!! I guess it just had crud in it. Wonder why they make it like a pea trap? No need. No sewer gases to prevent for coming back up..........

Once again, thanks for the help!

Ronny

#7 reelynyceguy

reelynyceguy

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:19 AM

Made like a pea trap to help keep warm air from entering the freezer compartment and causing frost...
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

#8 snapperon

snapperon

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Well, then, I guess there was some thinking behind it. Shows what I don't know about appliance engineering..............that's why I ask all you super-intelligent fellas! Once again, floored by the knowledge on this website and the willingness to share it! Thanks, from a lowly "Grasshoppah"!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ice, freezer, kenmore, refrigerator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics