Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

I Just Don't Get it...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 reelynyceguy

reelynyceguy

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sam Adams

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:36 AM

Whenever I repair an appliance, if the customer doesn't have one, I always offer a service contract to them to cover future mechanical failure soup to nuts. Some people jump at the chance to save some money down the line. Others refuse out right.
I had a late afternoon sealed system retsriction on a SxS fridge Saturday. The compressor had been previously swapped out already by another service company. (The thing was only 5 yrs. old). When I arrived the customer was ranting and raving about massive food loss, as if I was the one who perpetrated the event on him. I discovered the restriction, blew out the system, drew a long vacuum while I cleaned the fridge coils, etc, recharged the system and the thing layed down a nice frost pattern and started cooling beautifully.
After buttoning up everything I explained to the customer that though the fridge was repaired, there was no guarantee this wouldn't happen again, especially since they had already had the compressor replaced. For $80 my company would cover all repairs for a year.
Instead of gratefully accepting an offer to gain some peace of mind, unlimited repairs for a year with product replacement if we couldn't fix it, she declined, saying "we will wait and see what happens with this repair. If it doesn't work, we'll buy a new one."!!!!!!!!!!
In other words, WE'D RATHER SPEND ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS TOMORROW THAN $80 TODAY!
Am I missing something?
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

they may have had many other repair work done on that Fridge and are sick of paying for any more repairs on it...
(and more food loss)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 reelynyceguy

reelynyceguy

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Gotcha', Reg. Guess I'm of the old school not to let anything go to waste....
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

... For $80 my company would cover all repairs for a year.

you may be their first call for repairs on their new Fridge . :thumbsup:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

Your company would seriously replace a compressor under that 80 dollar service contract? Or would you settle and cut them a check?

#6 megadan66

megadan66

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

Whenever I repair an appliance, if the customer doesn't have one, I always offer a service contract to them to cover future mechanical failure soup to nuts. Some people jump at the chance to save some money down the line. Others refuse out right.
I had a late afternoon sealed system retsriction on a SxS fridge Saturday. The compressor had been previously swapped out already by another service company. (The thing was only 5 yrs. old). When I arrived the customer was ranting and raving about massive food loss, as if I was the one who perpetrated the event on him. I discovered the restriction, blew out the system, drew a long vacuum while I cleaned the fridge coils, etc, recharged the system and the thing layed down a nice frost pattern and started cooling beautifully.
After buttoning up everything I explained to the customer that though the fridge was repaired, there was no guarantee this wouldn't happen again, especially since they had already had the compressor replaced. For $80 my company would cover all repairs for a year.
Instead of gratefully accepting an offer to gain some peace of mind, unlimited repairs for a year with product replacement if we couldn't fix it, she declined, saying "we will wait and see what happens with this repair. If it doesn't work, we'll buy a new one."!!!!!!!!!!
In other words, WE'D RATHER SPEND ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS TOMORROW THAN $80 TODAY!
Am I missing something?

How much did you charge for this job ?
Dan The Appliance Man

#7 reelynyceguy

reelynyceguy

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

They didn't get charged a cent. Another tech from my company was out there the day before and didn't fix the thing. Overnight they lost all their food. They initially paid $130 and we have a 90 day guarantee on parts and labor. The service contract I offered them covers all parts, labor, food loss, rental reimbursement, free yearly check up and replacement of the appliance for 4 product failures within 12 months. Pretty good deal for 22 cents/day...

#8 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

The compressor had been previously swapped out already by another service company. (The thing was only 5 yrs. old). When I arrived the customer was ranting and raving about massive food loss, as if I was the one who perpetrated the event on him....

Am I missing something?

Another tech from my company was out there the day before and didn't fix the thing. Overnight they lost all their food.

You wonder why they took it out on you? Another tech from your company was there the day before they lost all of their food overnight.
You can thank the previous tech for the ass-chewing and the loss of a service contract sale... seriously, I would make sure he knows...
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics