Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE WWA5600GALWH slinging water and oil/grease, shakes really hard in spin cycle

GE washer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 plsbcheap

plsbcheap

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee :-)

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

This has been my son's washer for a few years and worked very well. We got it used for him when he moved out. Recently you will see that my Whirlpool "Gold" washer direct dirve went out so I used his washer while I repaired the Whirlpool. (Whilrpool direct drive working like new now!)

So I take over this machine and use it for two months while I was fixing the other one and it starts giving me problems.
Posted Image

IT IS A TRUE WASHING MACHINE!! I have loved it. It WASHES the clothes so well, and spins them almost dry. It is very basic in it functions but gets your clothes clean. For about a month when in spin cycle it shakes like crazy. Sounds like a helicopter landing in the house :-) It jumps around on the floor in spin and it is annoying. BUT the real problem began a couple of weeks ago I starting seeing water underneath. So the other night I looked at it while it was running and saw a tiny stream of water running out of a hole on the pump and probably hitting the spinning rubber boot below the pump which slings the water against my back wall. It is also oily water. Notice the little round hole in the middle of the picture...

Posted Image

I know nothing about this older machine. What is bad on the machine? Is the pump gone or is there o rings or gaskets to be replaced? And what can stop the shaking? The motor mounts look to be connected at all four points.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

that is the bearing weep hole...and yes, just replace the pump and soothe the savage beast...
undoubtably ,regus will be along shortly to link ya the part...
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

http://www.repaircli...PartDetail/3223

Drain-Pump-WH23X42-00861811.jpg
Although I had one of those Washers (way back) and I thought the Pump was leaking,
but it was a bad Tub Bearing.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

See..told ya.
but mr patoff makes a good point...be sure this is the leak spot...a tub seal or bearing would be a deal breaker, of course.

#5 plsbcheap

plsbcheap

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

so my dilimena is do I invest anything in this "beast" as you say.
1)Why is there oil and water "weeping" out of the hole?
2)If I replace the pump does the oil and water stop? Or is it made to "weep"?
Reg_Us, you said you had one of these and the tub bearing. While the washer is running I observed water trickling out of the hole, then assumed the spinning rubber boot slung it against the wall. After the water dries it is very hard to get the greasy film off the wall.
4) So is there a concern the oil/grease is lower somewhere and needs replacing?
Kurtius, I do think it is the pump but you said "deal breaker" so I assume a tub seal or bearing is either expensive or a pain in the butt to fix so
5) I should send her to the appliance graveyard if so?
6) What about the crazy shaking in spin cycle? Could heavy vibration / dancing on the floor, indicate a bad bearing?
thanks,

#6 plsbcheap

plsbcheap

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

Here is an action photo of it running in full spin. Water with grease/oil trickling out and slinging off the wheel below. Water kind of sits on the plastic ledge/ring at the bottom of the pump.Posted Image

2nd shot shows the spinning motor/bearing and the famous "ring of sling". Where does the grease comes from out of the pump? It makes me wonder if something else may be seriously wrong. At some point I probably should retire the beast if I have to replace too much. I feel very adequate in reparing anything on the direct drive washer at this point, but this old bones is new to me.
Posted Image

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

OR post YouTube video

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

Looks like it is just the pump leaking to me, based upon the sling pattern.
Yes, she is an old trooper and prolly fixable as far as the pump...the violent shaking may be the harder issue to correct.
isn't this type suspended on springs /rods?

Edited by KurtiusInterupptus, 09 July 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#9 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

No suspension springs or rods, just one cable attached at, (I believe the front left corner), of the motor/transmission mounting base then runs up around a pulley in the corner of the cabinet then across to the front right pulley and back down to the base or around the corner to the right rear corner.

A large rubber star boot is between the outer tub which is mounted to the cabinet and the top of the transmission case, the complete transmission/motor/mounting plate/spin basket all float and moves in each diagonal direction. Should have good resistance when trying to move by hand.

The transmission and motor are mounted solidly to the base with a big brick weight on the front left corner, (make sure the weight is still attached and all of it's mounting bolts are tight).

Make sure all 8 of the suspension damper pads are in place on the four dampers, (one at each corner of the cabinet base), and make sure each damper spring is still mounted to the base, (none of the retainer straps have rusted out).
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics