Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dmarino

maytag performa washer squeels when begining spin cycle

11 posts in this topic

my maytag perform squeels when starting up the spin cycle for five seconds or so and then stops squeeling.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Sounds like it could be the belt, or something interfering with your pump impeller. Tilt your washer back and look at your belt for any obvious signs of wear, such as cracks, burn marks, a pile of black dust. It is easily removed, and once it is removed you can check your motor and pump individually by turning the pulleys with your hand. That should be a good start. If that is not it, try and leave us your model number, which can be found on the back side of the control panel, it should start with a "MAV" if i remember correctly.

The belt going to the center has three slices in it each about two inches apart and about a third of the way through the belt, also they seem loose. I can rotate the belts fine on the pullies. The other belt has one slice in it.

I am assuming I need to replace both belts, how should they be tightened?

Model number lat 2500 aae

Thank you

Did they look burned at any point in between the slices? Either way, you certainly need new belts, they seem loose because it is tilted back which is causing your motor to sit back on the tension spring. Once you replace the belts and set it back down it should run fine.

No did not notice any burn marks, I will replace both belts and see if squeezing goes away

So if there is no adjustment, just slide them off and slide the new ones on?

Yep, that's it!

Thanks, I will let you know what happens after replacing the belts

Still waiting for belts, however I removed the old ones to check the pump pulley for free spinning

The motor pulley spins when I spin it and continues a little bit and stops on its own

The pump pully turns freely, no binding etc. but does not free spin when I spin it , if I spin the pump,pully it will not continue to spin like the motor pully.

Should it spin like the motor pully or is it as it should be?

The pump will not free spin, from what you are telling us, it seems as though your pump and motor are in good order.

Thanks, is there anything else that could cause the belts to crack like they did.

Last summer an appliance repair man replaced the timer and said he had some warranty belts on hand and replaced them at no charge.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0