Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
Nick@AegisAppliance

7 year old Viking range- I think it needs a thermostat

5 posts in this topic

In about a week I have a customer who has a Viking range model VGIC4856GSS. I've repaired his oven left small oven in the past, but now his larger oven is giving him issues. He says it works fine when set to 350, but if he tries to bake on anything higher, it continues to heat and never cycles off. I would like to try and have a part for him by the time I arrive. It seems like his thermostat isnt reading anything beyond 350, so I was going to go ahead and order a thermostat for his oven. Does anyone here have any input or advise? This will be the first time I've changed a thermostat on a Viking. Anything will help, thanks.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... works fine when set to 350, but if he tries to bake on anything higher, it continues to heat and never cycles off.

then the temperature is over-temperature ?

Sounds like a bad Thermostat

Exactly, it just keeps going and going. Then when he turns it down to 350 it cycles normally. I'm going to go ahead and order that thermostat.

If this oven uses the old bulb-style thermostat, then a bad thermostat is pretty much all it can be... unless there's a relay involved like in some of the older Frigidaires and GE's.

Yep, it was just the thermostat! I didn't know that these thermostats had a break in period. It took about 30 min of preheating before it started cycling normally. Has anyone ever heard of that? Had me wondering if I misdiagnosed, but I just reminded myself that there was nothing else it could be. Customer is able to bake in his large oven like normal. Thanks for the reassurance guys!