Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

7 year old Viking range- I think it needs a thermostat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nick@AegisAppliance

Nick@AegisAppliance

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Blue Moon

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

In about a week I have a customer who has a Viking range model VGIC4856GSS. I've repaired his oven left small oven in the past, but now his larger oven is giving him issues. He says it works fine when set to 350, but if he tries to bake on anything higher, it continues to heat and never cycles off. I would like to try and have a part for him by the time I arrive. It seems like his thermostat isnt reading anything beyond 350, so I was going to go ahead and order a thermostat for his oven. Does anyone here have any input or advise? This will be the first time I've changed a thermostat on a Viking. Anything will help, thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

... works fine when set to 350, but if he tries to bake on anything higher, it continues to heat and never cycles off.

then the temperature is over-temperature ?
Sounds like a bad Thermostat

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Nick@AegisAppliance

Nick@AegisAppliance

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Exactly, it just keeps going and going. Then when he turns it down to 350 it cycles normally. I'm going to go ahead and order that thermostat.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,706 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

If this oven uses the old bulb-style thermostat, then a bad thermostat is pretty much all it can be... unless there's a relay involved like in some of the older Frigidaires and GE's.

#5 Nick@AegisAppliance

Nick@AegisAppliance

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

Yep, it was just the thermostat! I didn't know that these thermostats had a break in period. It took about 30 min of preheating before it started cycling normally. Has anyone ever heard of that? Had me wondering if I misdiagnosed, but I just reminded myself that there was nothing else it could be. Customer is able to bake in his large oven like normal. Thanks for the reassurance guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics