Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Bosch WFVC6450UC drain pump access secret, code E:13

Bosch Vision 500 series

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joedad

joedad

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Pacifico Clara

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

Problem was the washer didn't drain, stopping with code E:13. The user manual, something like 104 pages long, has a troubleshooting chart which lists only 2 causes. Too many suds, or drain hose blocked. No problems with those. Of course, there is a drain pump which could either be blocked or malfunctioning, but the ts chart says nothing about that, you have to use your second brain cell to even guess there could be something else wrong. When I called customer service I talked to a very nice chick who only said that checking the drain pump would be a service call, no details offered.

Went to the parts ordering section of the bosch website and found a very nice blowup, 4 pages, of the parts available, which shows a lower front panel secured by 3 screws at the bottom. To get access to the screws (and to even see them), I had to raise the unit about 3 inches off the floor. They are beveled upwards from front to back so you need some vertical distance for your #15 star tool handle. After these are removed, the panel slides down, showing the pump on the lower right, sealed with a cover that you need to unscrew. Water drains when this is opened, so you need towels to keep the water under control.

Inside was a sock, 4 bobbie pins, and a penny. Since this is my daughter's washer, the penny was my salary, so I kept it. Cleaned up the dirt in the pump, reassembled, and it started right up with good flow out of the drain hose. I work slow, so it took me about 4 hours in all, moving the machine, disassembling, test washing, cleaning up afterwards, etc.

Considering that it's normal for stuff to plug up the drain pump inlet, seems to me that Bosch is purposely hiding access to it to goose their repair business. I sure wouldn't like to explain to a homeowner why I was charging them $150 or so to do something they should be able to do themselves. The guy who wrote the manual probably had a line in the troubleshooting chart, but management or lawyers had him take it discourage people from fixing it themselves. Geez Louise!.

When I reassembled, I left the screws out, taped them inside the machine with a note, and just slid the panel back into place. It may drop during spin, we'll see.

Apparently there is no service manual available, although several requests have been made including mine, so I figured I'd post this here to help others out. Hope it helps someone.

Joe

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,063 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

Bosch Vision washer manual PMed. :thumbsup:

Link to page of Bosch washer drain pumps fro future readers ==> http://www.repaircli...hine-Pump-Parts

#3 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

I feel ya brother,but believe it or not ,this is one of the easy ones!
alot of the newer FL washers have NO access to the drain pump until you remove the entire front panel! So if it is a stacked unit, this also involves taking the dryer off the top...just to clean out a pump.
as for explaining the service fee...I don't. I had less than nothing to do with this asshat design and refuse to be read the riot act about poor engineering. Bosch has no "repair business" to speak off, only their network of authorized services that are paid a pittance to work on their over engineered appliances...any money you can get on out of warranty product is richly deserved.
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#4 joedad

joedad

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Pacifico Clara

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Several thank you's from me.

I stand corrected, got a service manual from the Fermented Grand Master. Wow, thanks!

Second, I said the drain pump water goes all over the floor, but the manual shows a drain hose which I didn't see. I'll check for it next week when I'm at my daughter's.

Last, Kurtiusinterupptus's comment gives me some needed perspective, which I agree with, guess my comment about goosing the repair biz was not correct. When I needed one, I always felt like the techs who showed up were underpaid considering how careful they were. Note I didn't blame engineers, since I used to be one. We are more likely to be ignored by management than to be appreciated, for sure. Thanks, man!

#5 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Well done joedad...a classy response. After I read it back , I felt I may have come across a little indignant so thanks for interpreting it correctly.
Come back anytime!
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics