Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
RiceKing

GE Condenser Fan Not Spinning

6 posts in this topic

Hello Folks!

GE Profile bottom mount freezer

PDS22SBRBRSS

S/N LG...... built in 2004 -- sounds right.

I noticed ice cream melting, readout said around 24 F and fridge getting warm (can't remember).

I removed the back and saw the condenser fan not spinning.

I put a portable fan at the back and the readouts said: -5 F and 35 F (I think I had the dials set really cold).

On the J2 connector:

3 pin (white) 8 pin (red) = 13.57V

3 pin (white) 4 pin (yellow) = 12.71

3 pin (white) 5 pin (pink) = 2.40 (is this bad?)

The main board 2 resistors look fine.

I haven't tried Samurai's "Quick n' Sleazy Fan Test" yet; I notice the test is for a evaporator fan?

So for the Condenser fan test I would do this?

- White wire to the negative 9V battery terminal

- Connect BOTH the Red and pink wires to the positive 9V battery terminal

If it is the fan motor, how to I remove it from the tray?

Thanks!

Rice

post-71440-0-13177200-1342479724_thumb.j

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I haven't tried Samurai's "Quick n' Sleazy Fan Test" yet; I notice the test is for a evaporator fan?

So for the Condenser fan test I would do this?

- White wire to the negative 9V battery terminal

- Connect BOTH the Red and pink wires to the positive 9V battery terminal

Yes, exactly as stated here ==>

Here's the condenser fan part link ==> http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Condenser-Fan-Motor/WR84X10055/1093723?modelNumber=PDS22SBRBRSS

There's 2 screws on the blade side of the condenser fan motor housing. Remove the blade for better(I don't mean easier) access to the screws. You will need a short philips screwdriver. Get the kids out of the room because it's a rotten bastard of a motor to get out. Did you check the DC voltage to the fan motor at the motor connection? I just replaced a main board a few days ago that had proper voltage at the J2 plug but voltage dropped at the motor. I ended up taking that motor out and putting it back in. Good training.

There's 2 screws on the blade side of the condenser fan motor housing. Remove the blade for better(I don't mean easier) access to the screws. You will need a short philips screwdriver. Get the kids out of the room because it's a rotten bastard of a motor to get out. Did you check the DC voltage to the fan motor at the motor connection? I just replaced a main board a few days ago that had proper voltage at the J2 plug but voltage dropped at the motor. I ended up taking that motor out and putting it back in. Good training.

SANTA: do you mean you thought you had a bad fan motor but it turns out it was the motherboard?

I just checked the wires closest to the fan motor:

2.41V WHITE-PINK

But when I disconnect the fan motor wires:

13.42V WHITE-PINK

Connect and disconnected from fan motor:

13V Red-White

I didn't take the fan motor out.

I did connect the fan motor to the 9V battery and the fan spun fine!

Which part is the problem? Fan motor? Motherboard?

Is the motherboard install straight forward? It looks similar to installing a motherboard for a desktop computer. I've got my A+ certification if that helps. :)))

fridge5.JPG

fridge4.JPGfridge3.JPG

I think you figured it out for yourself. It's the motherboard if the fan runs on the battery.