Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
JoeIsuzu

LG TROMM WM2277HW - Getting LOUDER

27 posts in this topic

This washer has gotten progressively louder during spin cycles over the last few months. Not only is it annoying, but I'm concerned about what's causing it. Is this typical with age, or is it an indication of trouble?

Thanks.

Jack

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

using only HE detergent ?

using only HE detergent ?

Always! And never any fabric softener.

Jack

This may be a drum bearing doing its swan song. Make a video, upload to youtube and post the link here so we can have a listen.

Need input, folks.  This washer seems to have a noisy drum bearing, and now it has a slight leak--probably a valve, I guess.

• Should I replace or repair?
  • If I replace, should I go old-style top load, or buy another front load?  There's a local shop that has an old Whirlpool-style top-load with a "delicate" cycle for $339.
  • If front load, the products have probably improved since I got mine.  What's recommended?

Thanks.

Jack

Edited by JoeIsuzu

You might want to glance at Craigslist, too. It's raining washers and dryers out there. But a bargain is no bargain if not delivered and set up and warrantied for at least six months.

Speaking for myself I'd never buy a front loader.

I think we've ruled out used machines, since the old-style ones are really hard to find with a "delicate" cycle, and we've found a new one for $339.  And I would not be interested in a used front loader.  My wife was "soured" by the foul odor from the door seal, and she is asking about HE top loaders.  But I'm told the new front loaders have solved the problem with water trapped in the door seal.

Still looking for input, especially from pro repair-persons.

Thanks.
Jack

... old Whirlpool-style top-load with a "delicate" cycle for $339.

new ?

model number ?

new ?

model number ?

Yes, it's new.  I don't have the model number, but it's pretty standard, other than the "delicate" cycle.  I think it's smaller capacity than our last top load, but we're down to one kid at home now so that's not a big deal.  I'll check the brand and model tomorrow when the store is open again.

Jack

... but it's pretty standard, other than the "delicate" cycle.

may look standard ...

Do NOT buy a top loader without an agitator, the manufacturers still have many "design flaws" to get out of them. 

The top load washer you are speaking of does have an agitator, does it not?  If it DOES have an agitator, it should be a sound investment.

new ?

model number ?

Amana NTW4650...

Not a high efficiency machine, but looks like a traditional, old-style top load.

Jack

Amana NTW4650...

... but looks like a traditional, old-style top load

If it's a

NTW46xxVQ

OR

NTW46xxXQ

then maybe it's a classic Whirlpool Direct Drive

BUT if it's a NTW4650YQ

then it's the "newer" Transmission :woot:

W1204116-00004.png

Wow, no "disposable" motor coupling.  Wonder if that's an improvement, or a setback.

Jack

# 5 disposable Transmission

# 5 disposable Transmission

I guess that's the same as a disposable washing machine.

I'd rather replace motor couplings occasionally.

Jack

no longer made ..

dwindling inventory seems to have vanished

2 years ago, NEW as low as $ 249 on sale

http://appliantology.org/topic/27537-sale-admiral-whirlpool-topload-washer-dryer/

True, but that one didn't have a "delicate" cycle.  That's a requirement, per the wife.  I guess I'll check the local store and see if the $339 Amana is old stock direct drive.

No votes for repairing the front load machine?  Didn't really want to, anyway!

Jack

True, but that one didn't have a "delicate" cycle. 

I believe it did...

from the Lowes description:

8 automatic cycles including Normal Extra Heavy, Gentle and Permanent Press to handle a variety of fabric types and soil levels

I believe it did...

from the Lowes description:

8 automatic cycles including Normal Extra Heavy, Gentle and Permanent Press to handle a variety of fabric types and soil levels

Ok, I missed that.  Didn't spend much time reading it, since the inventory is gone, according to...

no longer made ..

dwindling inventory seems to have vanished

2 years ago, NEW as low as $ 249 on sale

http://appliantology.org/topic/27537-sale-admiral-whirlpool-topload-washer-dryer/

The one that's available now is the Amana, and I need to check on it to see if it's direct drive or the new style.  And if the new style, is that good, or bad?  Or, should I repair my LG Tromm?

Jack

If repairing the WM2277 washer is your decision---you're in the right place for assistance :)

Edited by john63

Huh? Okay, you edited, now it's complete.

Alrighty, I was trying to assess whether it was worth repairing, but I'll approach it from the assumption that it is, and I should...

I looked up the bearing on this site, and there was an advisory that I should buy the bearing and rear drum as an assembly. That part was not listed.  Dead end?

Jack

Oh, found it.  $200.60 plus special shipping.

Thanks.

Jack

Edited by JoeIsuzu