Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Washer/Dryer Combo Makes Loud Screeching Noise During Spin Cycle

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Timboroni

Timboroni

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Corona

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

I have a Whirlpool Washer/Dryer Combo (Model LTG6234DQ1) that makes a loud "screeching" noise during the spin cycle. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this problem?

Thanks!

PS: The machine is about 10 years old.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Timboroni

Timboroni

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Here's a video of what I'm talking about:

#3 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Does it come up to speed while spinning?
Could be a brake dragging.
Remove the motor from the transmission and run the motor in spin mode to eliminate motor bearings as the noise.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,577 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

Have you removed the front panel and had a look yet? That sounds like a broken coupler to me ==> http://www.repaircli...mber=LTG6234DQ1

Posted Image

#5 Timboroni

Timboroni

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

Is there a diagram showing how to take the machine apart? I've taken my regular washer apart, but never this "combo" one.

Thanks.

#6 Timboroni

Timboroni

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

OK - I finally found the time to get to this (don't worry - there are two washers in the house so I'm not in too much trouble :sillytongue: ). I took the front panel off and checked the coupling, but those parts were fine. I turned the coupling piece that is connect to the washer and I heard a squeal. There is a round piece directly under the tub, and inside that is a spring of some sort. It appears that the spring is resting on the round piece and making the squealing noise. I don't know if this is what is causing all of the noise, but I took a video of it as I turned the coupling by hand. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Senior Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:48 AM

Looks like possibly the thrust washer c-clip has broken and let the basket drive/brake assembly drop down too far and now the clutch is rubbing against the brake springs.

You will need to pull the transmission and check the thrust washer and c-clip on the agitator shaft and make sure the the brake release lever isn't broken also.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 Timboroni

Timboroni

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

Thanks. I'll take it apart and let you know what I find.

#9 Timboroni

Timboroni

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

OK - I finally was able to get to the bottom of the washer (it is located in a very small second floor laundry room) and pulled the transmission. Unfortunately everything appears to be intact.

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Senior Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

Have you raised the lid while it is agitating and verified that the agitator is actually moving back and forth?

Do you get any of this noise in agitate at all, maybe the same noise but a little quieter? If yes, maybe something stuck in pump and in agitate it pushes it back out of the pump so the noise doesn't happen and in spin it sucks it back in. Pull the pump away from the motor and start a spin cycle and see if you still get the noise.

Also, in the spin cycle is the tub actually spinning while it is making that noise?

Did you check both halves of the drive coupling to make sure the centers are not stripped out? The transmission side should be OK since you were able to turn it by hand and the clutch moved to make a squeaking noise that didn't really sound like the same sound as the first video. The first video sounds like a stripped out drive coupling letting the motor run free without any kind of load on it, (check the motor half of the drive coupling and make sure it is solidly attached to the motor, doesn't have the center rounded out or a crack that would let it slip with the load from spin).
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,577 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

You can't check the coupler while it's still installed-- you have to remove the motor so you can inspect the two plastic pieces because they can crack and still look okay. BTW, the new couplers now have a metal insert to mitigate this very problem.

I'm betting I called the ball on this one in Post #4:

Have you removed the front panel and had a look yet? That sounds like a broken coupler to me ==> http://www.repaircli...mber=LTG6234DQ1

Posted Image

#12 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

did you check try removing the pump from the motor shaft and then put it in spin? I think the sound is coming from the motor side of the transmission, based on the speed of the noise{does that make sense} just try it.
Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#13 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

Im thinking its a drapery hook in the pump.

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,577 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

Bra wire.

#15 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

You can't check the coupler while it's still installed-- you have to remove the motor so you can inspect the two plastic pieces because they can crack and still look okay. BTW, the new couplers now have a metal insert to mitigate this very problem.

I'm betting I called the ball on this one in Post #4:

Have to look there; I'd be very surprised if this isn't the problem.

Speaking of problems those metal inserts make the coupling a bear to install. You have to whack at it with a hammer - the last thing I want to do to a machine. If anyone knows a trick, I'm all ears.
First, do no harm.

#16 Timboroni

Timboroni

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

I've ordered the coupler. I'll let you know how it goes once I get it.

Thanks!

#17 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

If this was the noise I heard during diagnostics, I would look at removing the drain pump and then put into spin............ It could be an item rubbing on the pump impeller...............To me, the pitch is too high to be a bad drive coupler.......................A lower, mechanical, spinning, clicking sound, I would look at the coupler.....

#18 Timboroni

Timboroni

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

Okey doke - I got the part and installed it. The original drive couplers looked OK, but I replaced them anyway. Right before I put everything back together I checked the pump as suggested above. There was a bobby pin stuck in there and I pulled it out. Once I put everything back together I started it up and lo and behold no noise! Bobby pin? Coupler? Hmmm ...

Many thanks to all who helped me out with this! (oh, and my Mom thanks you too! :thanks: )

Beer money on the way!!

#19 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,577 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

May have been the bobby pin but no harm in upgrading the coupler to the new steel hub type!

#20 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

I used to have a dairy farm customer under MA that would get these metal clips from the milking machines in the pump at lest once a month I usually got a bottle of real milk out of the deal. Boy was I pissed when they cancelled their Maintenance agreement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics