Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile WPRB9220DWW washer giving E61 and E30 error codes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lilmatt

lilmatt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dr. Pepper

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

My GE Profile washer (model #WPRB9220DWW) stopped draining. My wife and I both tried running the "Drain & Spin" cycle to no avail, and while spinning it seemed extra noisy.

A little history:

About a year ago it also stopped draining. The error code was pump overcurrent, which was due to a piece of "pot metal" from the bottom of the basket breaking off and lodging in the pump. After I removed the metal hunk the pump was fine and life continued.

When today's issue happened, I pulled out the mini-manual with the error codes and put the thing into service mode. I found the following error codes, in this order: E61, E30, E61, E30, E00. Based on E00 being last, I'm guessing the most recent error is first in the list.

After that I ran the "spin fast" test, and the thing got up to like 860+ RPM according to the display. No idea if that's correct or not -- guess I need the service manual for that info.

I then popped the cover, found another chunk of pot metal in the drain line heading to the pump, and found the speed sensor.

So here are my questions:

1. Can I somehow replace the pot metal bottom of the basket that keeps losing chunks with something less likely to self-destruct in this way? GE's appliance parts site appears to only sell that thing as part of a $450 basket assembly. No thank you. Does the fact that we're on well water have anything to do with the fact that it seems to fall apart in this way?

2. How can I test the speed sensor to determine if it (or the magnet part of it) needs replacement? Was it what was giving me the 860+ RPM measurements in service mode? If so, does that indicate the thing actually works?

3. Assuming the 860+ RPM was real, is that an appropriate "fast" spin speed for this model?

4. Is there something else I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance

-lilmatt

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

I've PMed you the link the service manual for your washer. This gives you some reading material until some GE washer master can weight in on this.

#3 lilmatt

lilmatt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

Thank you!
The service manual at least clears up a couple things.

860 RPM doesn't seem so scary now. It says fast spin for cottons should be 850 RPM.
To debug the speed sensor, it says to watch the RPM on the display during the spin tests. Obviously I did that.

So now I'm wondering if the only real problem was the hunk of metal in the drain line, and maybe somehow the water left in the tub during the spin cycle is responsible for the E61 error?

Feel free to tell me I'm totally on crack and jumping to conclusions here. =)

#4 lilmatt

lilmatt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

I also just saw in the manual that the basket apparently has a lifetime warranty! Does it shedding hunks of metal into the pump multiple times count as a "failure"?

If so, can I somehow steer the warranty stuff so as to replenish samurai beer supplies? ;)

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

If you're seeing chunks of basket material caught in the drain pump, I think that qualifies as a basket self-destructing and therefore should be covered under the warranty!

#6 lilmatt

lilmatt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

GE is telling me:

"

Unfortunately, the only way to determine if the part that is causing the problem will be covered is to have a GE Service technician out to properly diagnose same. As you may know, only the part would be covered, not the labor. I recommend having them come out and giving your an estimate and diagnosis."

Good times =)

Edited by lilmatt, 19 July 2012 - 10:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics