Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Flash! Waffle Iron Eats Range Knob! Film at Eleven!

slantsixdan

Got a "builder grade" (cheap generic) electric range in my apartment in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Brand is "Concept II", model CRSF3200VM-1. Zero hits on this model number — not on RepairClinic.com, not on Google, not nowhere. Looks like a Camco GE knockoff to me:

post-1098-0-06998500-1343003342_thumb.jp

This morning was a Sunday morning, which meant waffles made on my fine old Dominion waffle iron. It was made before the advent of the Consumer Product Safety Commission, so the entire housing runs burning hot. The "waffle light" is in fact a jewelled window to the upper heating element:

post-1098-0-12238100-1343003427_thumb.jp

I wasn't paying attention when I lifted the waffle iron lid, and it melted one of the range burner control knobs:

post-1098-0-51315100-1343003340_thumb.jp

The shaft is a single-D, flat-at-9:00-in-off-position, 3/16" major diameter:

post-1098-0-84564800-1343003338_thumb.jp

Which means the 1-1/2" flange diameter knob is a single-D, flat-at-3:00-with-knob-clocked-"off", 3/16" major diameter:

post-1098-0-23949800-1343003337_thumb.jp

I've identified several potential repair knobs at RC:

knobknobknobknob

but none of them specifies the shaft diameter. Any of these would be fine; I'm going to replace them all so they match, which is also why my group of candidate knobs are all in the $2 to $4 price range and I've left out the $88/ea items. But first I gotta figure out which of them has the right size D-hole!

Any assistance welcome, please and thanks.

Edited by slantsixdan

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Budget Appliance Repair

• slantsixdan

Those are all washer and dryer knobs, (although that doesn't really matter as long as they fit).

Both knob#1(WH1x10461) and #4(WH1x10462) with the large pointer are the same except for color and may be a problem, you say your original knobs are 1 1/2" in dia., both of these are 2" in dia. and may cover up the number markings on the panel.

The other two knobs you have found are also exactly the same except for color also.

All four of these knobs have the exact same size shaft so if you can determine if the d-shaft size is correct and you have at least 2" of dia between the number markings any of them would work.

I believe I have some of each of those style knobs and will check today to see how they fit on the d-shaft range infinite switches and get back to you Tuesday morning if someone else hasn't already gave you the info you need.

EDITED TO ADD: looks like none of those knobs are going to work, that infinite switch small 3/16" d-shaft size is pretty much a GE only style/size, I'm pretty sure any of those washer/dryer knobs all have a 1/4" d-shaft.

Open the back of the range up and get some part numbers off the switches and then we can look up that part and find some ranges that use the same part and find some knobs, (I have a part# WB21x226 6" infinite switch that has the same shaft configuration that has a black knob that would fit if being being 2" in dia isn't going to cover up the number markings too much - I should be able to figure out a part number for the knob in white or black. I will come back and post it when I find it this morning).

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

Any of these 5 knobs should work for sure, d-shaft is correct size and orientation

and diameter won't cover number around control knob.

http://www.repaircli...Number=RB632GV3

Control-Knob-WB3X5792-00865036.jpg

http://www.repaircli...Number=JBP21SV1

Thermostat-Knob-WB3X5829-00865052.jpg

http://www.repaircli...b/WB3X5830/2308

Selector-Knob-WB3X5830--00864880.jpg

http://www.repaircli...WB3X5831/257264

Knob-WB3X5831-00775437.jpg

http://www.repaircli...WB3X5816/257253

Knob-WB3X5816--00612542.jpg

Here's the black knob that I have, it would fit and work but is 2" in diameter and may

cover the numbers around the dial, (best as far as price goes also).

http://www.repaircli...03T10071/783267

Control-Knob-WB03T10071--00864140.jpg

And this should be the same as the above but in white and it cost about

4 times more then the black knob.

http://www.repaircli...03T10075/785296

Control-Knob-WB03T10075--00706903.jpg

And in Almond color only .20 more then the black one. It doesn't show

a picture of the shaft side but another website does and it is correct.

http://www.repaircli...03T10073/824147

Control-Knob-WB03T10073-00592357.jpg

Black $2.65 knob wins it. It'll cover the dots just inboard of the callouts, but the callouts themselves ("1", "2", "3", etc. for the surface burners and "200", "250", "300" … "Bake", "Broil", "Clean", etc. for the oven) will remain legible.

Much obliged, good suh -- I love this forum!

Edited by slantsixdan

(Actually, new plan: two of the fourth knob you showed rather than six of the bigger black ones. Replace the one melted surface burner knob by one of the two oven control knobs, restoring a set of four. Install two new oven control knobs, making a matched set of two. Total cost within 40¢ of a wash. Speaking of which, I oughtta provide an update on that cantankerous Bosch dishwasher, which now actually works.)

(And since I seem to be in a mood to discuss knobs, I was dismayed to find that the Davies Knob Company seem to have a thing against 3/16" D-shafts. I was hoping they could supply me with some shiny black bakelite knobs, but noooooooo…!)

Like I said, that small 3/16" D-Shaft is kind of a GE thing........

• 2 weeks later...

Curses! Foiled again! This knob does not fit. Its D-hole is too large; looks like 1/4". :-(

Any thoughts on how/where to dig up part numbers for OE replacement knobs?

Looks like the white WB3X5830 $14.95 and the almond WB3X5816 $9.15 have the smaller 3/16" d-shaft.

It's so hard to tell that 1/16" difference in the pictures.

Of the three larger 2" knobs it looks like the 1st black one has a very large standard 1/4" size d-shaft but again so hard to tell from the pictures, the white WB03T10075 $9.40 one looks like the smaller d-shaft but I very unsure of myself from looking at all these pictures, (the physical design of these 3 larger 2" knobs are an exact match in looks to the one I have used that fits these small 3/16" d-shafts).

I'm not finding anything on that model number either, tried it without the "C" on the front and came up with an Amana gas range - not even close.

This being a Canada model it's going to be a little more difficult looking up of course.

Did you pull the pack panel off and get some part numbers off the switches, that's the only other way I know of that might get us somewhere. The main problem is with this method all the control switch numbers with those 3/16" d-shafts convert to the universal inf switch kit with the little tiny break-off square shaft with all the plastic adapter, but maybe we can come up with some regular GE models to look up that might have the correct knobs.